PDA

View Full Version : The Devil You Know

evaporator
15-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Hi everyone

merry xmas to you all

i have a dilema and was wondering if anyone can help

in the post i recieve a job offer the position seems to good tobe true but here it is in writing in front of me.
i have limited experience in air conditioning in general, i have always worked on the refrigeration side but have found my a/c mates earn the same or better money for same hours and always seem to drive cars and stay nice and clean whilst i am slumming it in a van getting rather dirty most days, i thought maybe its time for a change.

Question 1.
anyone know of an a/c manufacturer from the midlands
called WEATHERITE ? being from the other side i can find no-one that knows of them and they are othering me a position i would like to consider but i need some inside info of what they are like to work for and a true reflextion of what sort of work to expect.

Question 2.
how will i find a/c work in general am i gonna come accross problems i will not find with my fridge experience or should i find it easy ? or is it just a case of
Better The Devil You Know

Any help or views would be greatly appreciated

Andy W
15-12-2005, 06:19 PM
If you are a decent fridge man you will change over to things like splits etc no problem at all, you will of course need training up on VRV's etc and probably some building management systems if that is the work that you will be doing. Me personally have always worked in refrigeration apart from a 6 month break in 1997 working for a building services company installing and maintaining air con equipment, I hated it and could not wait to get back into refrigeration again. One draw back having a nice posh company estate car is income tax, it is a taxable benefit and you will pay through the nose for it, in my opinion you can not beat a van particularly in this day and age for security alone!

shanes696
15-12-2005, 06:34 PM
i agree with andy , i work with both fridge and a/c systems and the transition is not that hard when it comes to splits especially with a decent set of manuals , vrv's are a pain in the arse with no experience or training ,the reason a/c blokes are always clean is cos they spend all day wandering around buildings trying to trace coms faults or which indoor unit matches which condenser only to find a knackered pcb which has to be ordered , very frustrating!!

evaporator
15-12-2005, 07:16 PM
If you are a decent fridge man you will change over to things like splits etc no problem at all, you will of course need training up on VRV's etc and probably some building management systems if that is the work that you will be doing. Me personally have always worked in refrigeration apart from a 6 month break in 1997 working for a building services company installing and maintaining air con equipment, I hated it and could not wait to get back into refrigeration again. One draw back having a nice posh company estate car is income tax, it is a taxable benefit and you will pay through the nose for it, in my opinion you can not beat a van particularly in this day and age for security alone!

hi andy
thanks for the advice, i am ok on most splits was wondering more about vrv, dx chillers, water chillers and ahu's. have been at it nearly twenty years now and i am just looking at slowing down a bit dont need to be doing much call out if any just wonna plod along till i can afford to hang up the gauges as so to speak.
can i get info on vrv anywhere to give me a good idea how they are set up, an online guide would be nice but so would a ferrari and a long legged blonde for xmas

evaporator
15-12-2005, 07:26 PM
i agree with andy , i work with both fridge and a/c systems and the transition is not that hard when it comes to splits especially with a decent set of manuals , vrv's are a pain in the arse with no experience or training ,the reason a/c blokes are always clean is cos they spend all day wandering around buildings trying to trace coms faults or which indoor unit matches which condenser only to find a knackered pcb which has to be ordered , very frustrating!!

hi shane

if you work on both you must notice the difference in ambient temp you would work in being a/c a nice cosy 17 degrees plus and fridge plus 5 to minus whatever am only early 40's but i am starting to feel the cold, i think i could get quite cosy in a plus 17 enviroment thats better than some of our summer days. i need to get some info on vrv's etc on how they work and get my head around some basic principles to see if it would be to much brain ache or worth giving it a shot

evaporator
16-12-2005, 12:31 AM
One draw back having a nice posh company estate car is income tax, it is a taxable benefit and you will pay through the nose for it, in my opinion you can not beat a van particularly in this day and age for security alone!
i here tax law is changing possibly april and van tax will be same as car tax, have started a new thread asking if anyone knows whats going on

Andy W
16-12-2005, 12:21 PM
i here tax law is changing possibly april and van tax will be same as car tax, have started a new thread asking if anyone knows whats going onI am self employed so if the van tax hits us I shall just personally buy my van from my company at a low book price then lease it back to myself, **** Turpin gets enough off me as it is! apparently the shortened version of Richard is censored.

rbartlett
19-12-2005, 07:31 AM
hi shane

if you work on both you must notice the difference in ambient temp you would work in being a/c a nice cosy 17 degrees plus and fridge plus 5 to minus whatever am only early 40's but i am starting to feel the cold, i think i could get quite cosy in a plus 17 enviroment thats better than some of our summer days. i need to get some info on vrv's etc on how they work and get my head around some basic principles to see if it would be to much brain ache or worth giving it a shot

same ****e different bucket

cheers

richard

evaporator
19-12-2005, 03:33 PM
same ****e different bucket

cheers

richard
hi richard
nice one point taken:)

Simple
19-12-2005, 10:46 PM
in the post i recieve a job offer the position seems to good tobe true but here it is in writing in front of me.
i have limited experience in air conditioning in general, i have always worked on the refrigeration side but have found my a/c mates earn the same or better money for same hours and always seem to drive cars and stay nice and clean whilst i am slumming it in a van getting rather dirty most days, i thought maybe its time for a change.

Hi Evaporator

Two things to consider

1 If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!

2 The grass is always greener on the other side!

Hope this helps :confused:

Abe
19-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Evap

If I had a breakdown, Refrgeration or AC..................I would wish refrigeration allways.........

AC is ok...............but sometimes you can tear hair out

evaporator
20-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Evap

If I had a breakdown, Refrgeration or AC..................I would wish refrigeration allways.........

AC is ok...............but sometimes you can tear hair out
hi aiyub,
am loosing what little hair i have left fast, best stay put i think cheers

evaporator
20-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi Evaporator

Two things to consider

1 If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!

2 The grass is always greener on the other side!

Hope this helps :confused:
hi simple
1 was my first reaction
2 was what i was wondering

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT "WEATHERITE"
SUPPOSED TO BE RUNNING SINCE THE 70'S
some-one must have heard of them surely:confused:

iceman007
20-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Evaporator,

I know Whetherite very well indeed, I live just up the road, so send me a private message and I'll give you all the info you need about working for them.

phil68
20-12-2005, 10:13 PM
You'll get a lot of fridge engineers that won't touch A/C & visa versa. I worked with test chambers for 13 years then did a stint with a major Daikin distributor for 2 years (steep learning curve that was) then a company that took on everything & everything for another 2, now working for a company that does just pub refrigeration & have only worked on 2 A/C's in the last 2 years, which suits me fine. What used to p*ss me off was the search for the outdoor unit's & them not being marked up on multiple installations. I also think that the VRV's are very clever but find that most A/C is over-complicated for the job it has to do. Just my 2 cents worth.

evaporator
20-12-2005, 10:30 PM
You'll get a lot of fridge engineers that won't touch A/C & visa versa. I worked with test chambers for 13 years then did a stint with a major Daikin distributor for 2 years (steep learning curve that was) then a company that took on everything & everything for another 2, now working for a company that does just pub refrigeration & have only worked on 2 A/C's in the last 2 years, which suits me fine. What used to p*ss me off was the search for the outdoor unit's & them not being marked up on multiple installations. I also think that the VRV's are very clever but find that most A/C is over-complicated for the job it has to do. Just my 2 cents worth.
hi phil
i know what you mean, on/off, stat control, defrost switch, job done but they all make things over complicated now days just to show they can move with the times and that just leaves us poor engineers having to keep on training/learning till the day we retire

Lazarus
26-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Weatherites .............

Worked for them about 15 years ago.... they are a brilliant company to work for .... as long as they have changed there management... especially the project and service ones..............

evaporator
01-01-2006, 11:45 PM
sunny spain ah!! alright for some

oztech
23-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Hey guy's, lolol. Good o'l refrigeration V Air Con - what to do, oh what to do !!. If you've been a fridge most or all of your career, you'll adapt to chiller sets and all the big stuff no problems. If your straght up with the company about what your "not sure" about, they'll more than likely put you with another tradie who knows all about it to teach you the ropes - thats if he's cool of course, and should be !!. If not then keep looking. Companies shouldn't expect to employ someone, who knows "It All", after all, we all have our strengths & weeknesses. For me, now 47, ran a commercial industrial business for 16years, is now at tafe do an Electrical trade course. No, carrying 5 different types of gasses, no recovering, no oil splattering on you, no heavy lifting of compressors and bottles, no marching back & fourth with heavy tool boxes etc, no more rip offs from Govnment licensing (Lic to purchase gas, Lic to use, Lic for Arctic), it's just a money making empire for the "So Called" ozone protection laws, and we're getting the blame for it -------- its NOT us !!!!. Notice cars & trucks don't blow excessive smoke these days? Hmmmm. Good luck fellas, great blog site. Check ya. P.S. --- DONT STRESSSSS, it's not worth it. See ya. :D