PDA

View Full Version : coating evaporators

cadwaladr
09-07-2012, 09:26 PM
has anybody any experience of coating evaps to protect them from corrosive i have a one to do for a client who is producing maggots for fishermen.

al
09-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Blygold or some such? Can you identify what you need to protect from acid wise and go from there? I presume it derates the evaporator slightly, if you find something let me know!

al

r.bartlett
09-07-2012, 10:24 PM
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?35234-Re-maggot-room-evaporator

monkey spanners
09-07-2012, 11:05 PM
If you can get them to spend the money, stainless steel is the way to go. Just like the paint on a car, a coating will only last so long.
Think the last one i worked on was Frimetal but not sure, the maggots had warmed up and were everwhere so didn't pay too much attention...

smpsmp45
10-07-2012, 04:49 AM
We have been using evaporators with such coatings for many years & find they work good for long time

Rob White
10-07-2012, 12:59 PM

There are coatings and they are good, they work especialy well
if the unit is in a coastal area but as Monkey Spanners states so well,
you need to look into Stainless Steel when dealing with maggots.

I have spent many, many wonderful, pleasent hours in the company
of flys and maggots on those farms and I have found that there
is no long term solution (other than stainless) to the corrosion factor
of a maggot.

I have also worked on the food processes that supplied the meat the
maggots were bred in..............................

Oh lovely places to work.

Rob

chemi-cool
10-07-2012, 05:54 PM
I guess its the same problem as with cheese, SS is the ultimate solution and the cheapest for the long run.

I have used stuff called "Defender coil coating" with success. Made by Refrigeration Technologies from USA.

doormaster2008
10-07-2012, 09:54 PM
i had a searle tg cooler coated by bronzeglow which was fitted in a maggot coldroom.it was a new cooler and only lasted 6 months.get a frimetal cooler with stainless coil.the casing rots eventually but no problem with the coil leaking.

Rob White
11-07-2012, 08:56 AM

DOH......... As Hommer would say

or should that be

DOUGH...... As a Baker would say.............

Yeast in dough does wonderful things to evaporators also.

Dough retarder - provers suffer from leaky evaps.....
Even coating in galvanised zinc does not totaly stop it.

Regards

Rob

r.bartlett
11-07-2012, 12:11 PM
I guess its the same problem as with cheese, SS is the ultimate solution and the cheapest for the long run.

I have used stuff called "Defender coil coating" with success. Made by Refrigeration Technologies from USA.

we have the same problem with a deli the cabinet is 6 years old and has every evap replaced. i wasn't involved as it was being dealt with by my late business partner but now we are looking at coating them in situ.. How easy is this defender coil coating stuff?

chemi-cool
11-07-2012, 02:58 PM
I did it with new coils, take off the frame and simply sprayed them from both sides and put them together.
one of the problems is the evap. fans which run constantly, when the evap. coil is dry and the air goes through it, the damage is higher and quicker. So evap fans run with SV. solved that by adding extra small fan on another wall just to circulate the air.

cadwaladr
13-07-2012, 02:12 AM
think i am going down the coating route,have found a company that does it going to take a coil to them for an estimate they are doing them for a major supplier so maybe they do a good job?