PDA

View Full Version : ultra violet dye

Andy AC
08-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Do any of you have good experience of using uv dyes? I recently installed some new gear in a small cold room - r404a hawco easycold condenser and small kuba cooler, short pipe run. System keeps losing gas, been all over system with leak detectors, pressurised with ofn, can't find anything. Seems to last a couple of weeks or so, it's now gone down twice since installation. I've never not been able to find a leak on a system, it's beginning to really annoy and cost me.
So if any of you can recommend a dye kit or any other ideas to try, I would really appreciate it.

Andy

monkey spanners
08-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Spectroline stuff is pretty good. Think SRW do a few different kits.

install monkey
08-07-2012, 08:44 PM
good stuff if you can get it in the system without wearning it- i had the spectroline lil kit with the screw down handle that regulates how much u use/wear- the handles go brittle and sometimes u end up compressing the dye into the lil flexi hose and when u take it off the system pop- looks like u spilled chicken vindy on urself- within the kit theres glo away spray- smells like wd40 but 5x the price-best advice is get someone else to add the dye and u just go over the kit with the toech

cool runings
08-07-2012, 09:56 PM

Does the system come with the stuff inside?

Don't put anything inside a system that's not in there from new....

Regards

Rob

install monkey
08-07-2012, 10:08 PM
maneurope dont recommend glo stick dye but if u got a system and the leak doesnt show- the compressor is gonna cook itself in time - relying on a low pressure switch (if fitted) or last resort a overheat klixon- so if its over 12 month old then adding an oil based substance- less than 50cc then surely it makes sense- also you will have lost some oil during a leak so its gonna benefit the system

Goober
08-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Dye kits are fine when used properly. As mentioned above the biggest thing is trying not to get it all over yourself and the gear your trying to check. And probably as important, only use the minimum of minimum amount that you require.

Moomin23
09-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Primalec leak detection setups are available from Pentland Parts here: http://www.pentlandparts.co.uk/category2.aspx?ct2=TOOLS+%26+TEST+EQUIPMENT&mf=PRIMALEC

cadwaladr
09-07-2012, 06:56 PM
get a javac d select leak detector it finds them all works for me.

mcunliffe4
09-07-2012, 07:09 PM
have you checked any brazed joints under the armaflex, always advise marking joints if possible, only a thought as you said it was a new istall

Andy AC
09-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I have ordered a kit from hrp. I will let you know what I find

install monkey
09-07-2012, 10:32 PM
takes about a week to get off ur skin- even with a scrubbing brush and tufanega- do wear gloves otherwise ur gonna look like a bank robber under neon lights in the disco!! :D

Andy AC
09-07-2012, 10:35 PM
I'll bear that in mind

nobow
15-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Yes i used it for the first time the other day, as above be very carefull with it i got in a rigth mess with it.
Needless to say checking around the comp and condensor was pointless after i got it everywhere, i would suggest a damp rag around the hose as you inject and remove connections.

I can say the kit does work well just have to be carefull good luck.

lyness
15-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Mix your ofn with helium refrigerant particles are a lot smaller that ofn so in cases like this i tend to use a bit of helium works a treat :-)

Mach 2
15-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Spectroline is good stuff but, wear latex gloves as you introduce it to the system and remove then before carrying out your checks to avoid leak testing your own finger prints.
Note.
Some manufactures do not advocate the use of these type's of leak detectors
Regards Mach 2

Andy AC
16-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Had the kit through the post friday, hopefully be able to deploy it sometime monday