PDA

View Full Version : is this as good as it gets?

flyboy3b
05-07-2012, 07:04 PM
i have a fedders 3 1/2 ton heat pump that seems a bit wimpy and id like to get a second opinion on my readings.
r-22
liquid line pressure=225psi (110f)
liquid line temp=97f
subcooling= 13
suction line pressure= 87psi (52f)
suction line temp= 59f
superheat=7
air entering the condenser= 85f
exiting the condenser= 107f
air entering the evaporator= 83f
exiting the evaporator= 61f
rel humidity = 80%
there was a partial burnout a couple years ago during the heating operation and the unit was evacuated, pulled down to 250 microns and refilled. it never seemed quite right after that and it seems to be getting worse. the subcooling is about where it should be but its not putting out alot of cold air. the evaporator coil is clean and air is flowing freely. there is no temperature drop across the filter and everything else seems normal. the suction pressure seems a bit high but i am used to working on refrigeration stuff and do not have alot of experience with ac. am i missing something here or is this as good as it gets?
thanks in advance,
mike

JoeAT50A
06-07-2012, 04:15 AM
r-22
liquid line pressure=225psi (110f)
--- 225 psi is OK (very marginal)

suction line pressure= 87psi (52f)
--- 87 psi is a bit high

air entering the evaporator= 83f
On coil 83f is a bit high (after 15 mins, any drops?)
exiting the evaporator= 61f /16C
Off coil temperature 61 is a bit high 55f to 57f will be much better.

How about running ampere for the unit and name plate recommended amps?

Your case is High side a bit low and Low side a bit high case, plus if amp draw is low then compressor is weak.

chemi-cool
06-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Pressures in evaporator are too high.
Is there a 4 way valve? sounds as it has an internal leak.
Check also direction of rotation of the fans.
Model of unit?
Model of compressor?
Compressor running amps?

flyboy3b
09-07-2012, 03:58 AM
joeat50a, ill hook up the amp probe tomorrow and let you know what i get.
chemi-cool, ill look fora 4way valve, but the condensing unit is not easy to get inside access. ive been avoiding taking it apart. we just came off of a near record breaking heat spell in wisconsin and i wont likely get those readings again. it seems to cool to about 30f lower than the ambient temp which is fine when its 80f. but when its 95 or 100f, its barely noticeable. both of the fans are spinning in the right direction and both of the caps are new. weak compressor sounds reasonable but im wondering if the txv might off. it is the original valve (3 yrs old) and factory matched for the unit.
thanks for the insights,
mike

mikeref
09-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Temperature diff across evaporator is 22 F or about 13 C. If that reading is on medium fan speed, then that is a little low however with the high relative humidity and the amount of condensate your air-con will be making, it's performance will be reduced.
Might want to do a pump down and check if compressor valves hold.

flyboy3b
20-07-2012, 05:30 AM
sorry it took so long to reply,,, its been deadly hot here in wisconsin,,, lots to do.
the running amps were 15.8
seems reasonable to me. im gonna try attaching a jpg to this message of the nameplate9124i have not opened it up to look for a 4way valve but i suspect there is one. i cant shut it down to do speculative testing when its this hot so ill wait for the weather to pass. i have a bottle of the new r-22 im thinking of recharging it with. supposedly more efficient with lower head pressures. i am still open to any other insights people may have.
thanks,
mike