PDA

View Full Version : Retrofittable air conditioner to refrigeration conversion unit

Cyana
24-06-2012, 07:56 AM
+
I am planning to install a cooling system in my new build wine cellar.
As i have easy access to ac parts and units, i should like to convert a ac unit so it cools down the cellar between 10 to 12 degrees celcius.

I found this " http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080223052" is this unit somewhere available for sale?

Can someone help me with plans or info to home build something nearly similar ?

Should i take a ac unit apart,trow out the electronics and guide the compressor, evaporator and
condenser by a digital thermostat ?

Any help or ideas welcome.:)

The Viking
24-06-2012, 11:43 AM
First and foremost,
Normally humidity levels are considered as critical in wine cellars, dedicated refrigeration units has been designed with this in mind. A/C systems on the other hand has been designed to dehumidify as much as possible, leaving a very dry indoor climate.

Now,
What you are proposing is possible if you got experience, time and resources but it is unlikely to be cheaper than a purpose built unit in the long run.

Personally if I were to do this project from A/C plant I would;
-Calculate the required capacity and select an outdoor unit with a direct online compressor accordingly.
-Select an indoor unit 2 sizes bigger.
-Gut the electronic controls and replace them with electromechanical bits.
-Replace the EEV or capillary tube in the outdoor unit with a TEV by the indoor unit.
-Pray and hope for the best when I start it up, hoping that it will cool and keep the humidity at the required levels.

What you have to consider is that I would get a dedicated unit to start with and I got 25+ years experience of building and repairing this kind of stuff...

install monkey
24-06-2012, 12:03 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/450L-WINE-COOLER-CHILLER-REFRIGERATOR-FRIDGE-5-22-C-NEW-/221014827547?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item337582a21b#ht_5615wt_1270
saves all the messing about building something that might work- and theres a bit of storage space for the mrs salad!:p

r.bartlett
24-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Here's one I did earlier...9065

The cabinet is the whole of it and we fitted a length of 4" trunking to the air outlet to direct the air left and right and not straight down
Worked a treat. Unlikely to be still working as it was a 3.5kw LG :-)

install monkey
24-06-2012, 02:41 PM
didnt know lg worked to 10 deg- and no door seals- had the owner had councilling over his drink problem??

still learning
24-06-2012, 03:45 PM
one thing i have noticed with splits in wine cellars, is the mould growth from the spores of the yeast? in the wine

r.bartlett
24-06-2012, 10:31 PM
didnt know lg worked to 10 deg- and no door seals- had the owner had councilling over his drink problem??

How many beer cellars have you been into with door seals etc?

Also notice the cold room panel to control temps and off cycle defrosts. Works great and he can continue to play snooker without a noisy fan..

Kev The Tool
24-06-2012, 11:56 PM
are you sure that's not your own secret boudoir used only for "enteraining" Richard.
I'll pm you in the week, been busy.

Cyana
25-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I am living in Thailand, sending a wine cooler from the UK is not an option.

The Cellar is not only for wine, but also to store Belgian beers and home for
a draft beer system (glycol chiller - CO2 tanks - kegs,...)

I donīt want to store the beers and kegs at 35° celcius, and keeping the whole
draft beer system around 12° will put a lot less stress on my glycol chiller.

A/C Indoor/outdoor unit is here available for under 200 Euro.

What if i "cheat" the temp. sensor from the A/C unit by adding a resistor or even a potentiometer ??

Any other idea ?

r.bartlett
25-06-2012, 03:21 PM
do what you suggested which is exactly what I did years back. double the unit size to compensate for the capacity reduction. IE if you need 3.5kw for the cellar you need at least a 7 kw a/c unit. this also allows the unit to off cycle to assist the defrosting. Do not under size or you will have freezing of the evaparator issues...don't try to 'cheat' the sensor as it will lead to other problems. Do not use an inverter system either. fix the fan to run full speed at all times. set the defrost for 1 hr every 4 hours with a temperature termination of + 8c with the coil sensor pushed into the evap coil.It may seem excessive but icing of the evap is the biggest issue with doing this.

Cyana
25-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the reply's

++++don't try to 'cheat' the sensor as it will lead to other problems.++++

Being hard headed, i should like to know the major problems if i "sheat" the sensor.

The system i planned to use is largely oversized, fan running on full speed,long off cycle to assist the defrosting

r.bartlett
25-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the reply's

++++don't try to 'cheat' the sensor as it will lead to other problems.++++

Being hard headed, i should like to know the major problems if i "sheat" the sensor.

The system i planned to use is largely oversized, fan running on full speed,long off cycle to assist the defrosting

I'm out - you're just a cheapskate.