PDA

View Full Version : Heat Pump Installer

Airds
19-06-2012, 04:21 PM
I've been installing all sorts of heat pumps for a few years & now want to start doing repairs/service.
I'm a time-served heating engineer & have most of the hand tools required, but I wonder if anyone can please tell me the best gear to buy for doing this sort of work vac pump, gauges etc.
I don't mind spending a few bob, as I know if it's like the heating trade there's good tools & cheap 'n' nasty tools. I'm looking at a Testo 557 for example, any good??
Thanks for reading
Airds

Rob White
19-06-2012, 05:03 PM
I've been installing all sorts of heat pumps for a few years & now want to start doing repairs/service.
I'm a time-served heating engineer & have most of the hand tools required, but I wonder if anyone can please tell me the best gear to buy for doing this sort of work vac pump, gauges etc.
I don't mind spending a few bob, as I know if it's like the heating trade there's good tools & cheap 'n' nasty tools. I'm looking at a Testo 557 for example, any good??
Thanks for reading
Airds

Tools and equipment apart don't forget the qualifications.

You will need an F-Gas qualification to work on the refrigerant
side of the system and if you want to be MCS accredited and be
able to draw on the grants for the customer you will need the
City & guilds 2399 heat pump instalation and mainteance qualification.

Tools wise, the Testo is an excelent piece of kit and I've only heard
positive feed back on them. refrigerant recovery machines are varied
but you can't go wrong with a basic Promax, Robinaire for vac pumps
and tools are just over the counter. You might need to learn how to
braze and conect (flare) refrigerant pipe.

Regards

Rob

Airds
19-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks very much Rob, it was kind of you to reply. Yes, I'm doing my F-gas in a couple of weeks. The MCS thing is easy to get around.

As for brazing & connecting; I've been connecting, brazing, soldering & welding since I was 16. That's not to say there's no wee tricks etc I've still to pick up.

Thanks again for the heads-up on the gear.