PDA

View Full Version : short story

psimon
12-06-2012, 11:21 AM
once upon a time .
this electrician was walking down the street.all of a sudden an evil refrigeration engineer leapt from a supermarket doorway.said electrician was dragged into the premises and thrown at the base of a disreputable looking chiller.the engineer pointed at the offensive unit with a grubby shaking finger and screamed FIX IT before disappearing into the plant room.
this is how it all started (honest).
so ladies and gentlemen i turned to this sight.im taking the fgas exam in july and would appreciate any hints on it.cheers

jdunc2301
12-06-2012, 04:49 PM
So your an electrician, no history of refrigeration etc?

From what i remember in preparation you'll read through it answering questions prior to the test, drawing out some pressure/enthalpy charts, the exam is open book...i think.

On a practical test rig:

Take some measurments from a rig set up in the workshop
Replace a system component usually flare connections
Pressure test and leak test
Reclaim some vapour
Vac system

Im only going on memory...was a little while ago, im sure the members will add to this. It also depends what category your doing, do you know?

I did category 1

J

install monkey
12-06-2012, 07:36 PM
check ur email

once upon a time .
this electrician was walking down the street.all of a sudden an evil refrigeration engineer leapt from a supermarket doorway.said electrician was dragged into the premises and thrown at the base of a disreputable looking chiller.the engineer pointed at the offensive unit with a grubby shaking finger and screamed FIX IT before disappearing into the plant room.
so ladies and gentlemen i turned to this sight.im taking the fgas exam in july and would appreciate any hints on it.cheers

Rob White
13-06-2012, 08:32 AM

It depends on how long ago it was when you were dragged into the store
and what you have learnt since.

Good electricians tend to be good refrigeration engineers because the
majority of faults are electrical anyway.

You need to learn about the working refrigeration cycle. You will need to know
what the compressor does, the condenser, evaporator and metering devices.

You will be expected to use a Ph diagram and understand it, then on top of all
that you will have to understand why the industry is doing what it is and its
conection to the Montreal and Kyoto Protocols. Plus you will understand the make
up of the most commom refrigerants on the market at the moment and how
they react to temperature and pressure.

If you do City & Guilds 2079 exam it is 40 questions (60% pass mark) then a practical assessment
If you do CITB J11 it is still about 40 question but open book and 100% pass mark after three attemps.

Both require a practical assessment that will demonstrate you can fit and remove
gauges correctly, diagnose the system and correct any issues, remove all refrigerant,
remove a component and refit. You will be expected to do a simple braze and then
the whole system is pressure tested to the correct standards (you will be expected to
know these standards) then you evacuate to the correct levels and rechrge with refrigerant.

Rob

mikeref
13-06-2012, 09:58 AM
once upon a time .
so ladies and gentlemen i turned to this sight.im taking the fgas exam in july and would appreciate any hints on it.cheers I was about to settle into a good drama story (with my cuppa this morning) when it just.... fizzled out . :eek:
I want to know the rest of this story!
My head, and the edge of the kitchen table was a passing thought. :rolleyes: :off topic:

install monkey
13-06-2012, 08:05 PM
lucky ur not an aussie!- youd be stoned and burned at the stake!!- aussies hate sparkies as theyre allowed to install systems and if a fridgie does an install he has to pay a sparky lots of dollars to run wires and switch it on.!!!:)

once upon a time .