PDA

View Full Version : Will this oil Kill my vacuum pump?

Rtic
11-06-2012, 11:19 PM
I usually buy 4 liters of of Robinair Vacuum Pump Oil, but at £27.00 a pop, and lasting less than a week (because, needless to say, we change after every use :D), I thought I'd have a browse, and quickly came across some stuff advertised as 'Special purpose premium vacuum pump lubricant' on sale at a far cheaper price.

However it's not on a refrigeration wholesalers site, and does't actually state it's suitable for a refrigeration vacuum pump. I just want to make sure that it's not going to kill my vacuum pump, and that it's going to do the same job the Robinair Vacuum Pump Oil does (i.e. achieve a vacuum of below 500 microns). Link below;

http://www.smithandallan.com/documents/PRODUCT%20INFO%20AIRTECH%20V100.pdf

What you think; will I be fine, or shill I stick to the Robinair Vacuum Pump Oil

Thank you in advance

Rtic

licencetochill
02-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Just stick with what's recommended, don't change your vac pump oil so much as it's totally unecessary, and if you must change it more often than any fridgy iv ever met, pass the cost onto the customer..

monkey spanners
02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I usually change it when it won't pull 80 ish microns with vac gauge just on pump inlet. Or after a comp burnout that makes it smell bad.

Did have a look at that site a while ago thinking the same thing but didn't get any further.

FSW do vac oil a bit cheaper than genuine robinair stuff.

glenn1340
02-10-2012, 06:54 PM
The purpose of oil in any vac pump or compressor is to cool, seal and lubricate. As long as it`s doing that there`s no need to change it every job. if you see the vac pumps isn`t performing as it should do then change the oil.
Remember, any manufacturer will say you should only use their parts and oil etc that`s how thay make there money.

Magoo
03-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Weigh up the odds , oil change or new vacuum pump. Stick to the recommended oil. Not rocket science.The longer you delay changing to vac oil is only adding more damage to rotor vains in vac pump. Have you ever stripped down a vac pump rotor head for inspection.
I have a couple of roughing vacs that would not pull the skin off of a rice pudding, serious rotor damage from incorrect oil and contaminated oil by others.