PDA

View Full Version : 5 ton airconditioner ran with out *****

Bobbyu
11-06-2012, 02:46 AM
I have a a/c that ran without ***** because of a small pin whole leak .
Is it possible that the compressor restricted the capillary tubes before liquid line drier?
Please help

texas64
11-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Hello, does the compressor start at all? What capillary tubes are you referring to? Are you a technician or the home owner?

Bobbyu
11-06-2012, 03:54 AM
I'm a tech who was called out after original company declined the job.
There was no ***** in system, so I had to pressure test to find pin hole on Condencer coil.
I repaired the leak,changed liquid line drier, pressure test with nitogen andvacuumed system.
The head pressure keeps rising and goes into internal by-pass in compressor.
The Condencer is a high seer unit with small cap tubes that go into 3/8 line before drier.
Could there be a restriction in cap tubes from compressor break down from running with no *****?

Bobbyu
11-06-2012, 04:30 AM
Could breakdown of a compressor restrict the capillary tubes on a comfort maker C2A360GKA100.
I'm a disabled a/c tech trying to help out a friend.

mikeref
11-06-2012, 07:25 AM
This is a reverse cycle a/c running in cool mode?
The condition of your compressor will depend on how long it has run without refrigerant. No refrigerant = overheated compressor + oil breakdown etc
Run your hand up the side of the condenser when in cooling mode and see if the top few rows are too hot to touch, and the few rows below them are cool to cold.
Does the compressor sound like a "chaff cutter"??..Mike.

monkey spanners
11-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Drier should not be after the expansion device. Is this a mini split style system? if so look for a copper spun drier or even a small gauze filter near the cap tube inlet, have seen them block up with sh!tty oil/wax before, can blow through with nitrogen ok but soon as refrigerant tries to go through it blocks up.

Have chopped them out before and fitted a sporlan 032s in inplace of the filter. Drier sizing would depend on system size, these were little two tons.

Bobbyu
11-06-2012, 02:33 PM
It a regular split system, no heat pump.
It makes me wonder why original company turned this job down and only wanted to change outside coils. It's a c2a360gka100 (5 ton comfortmaker ).
I was told last Friday that , (monday before )unit kicked on and off for a whole day and it cooled fine before that .
I don't see how because of no ***** in system. Only god knows how long the unit ran for without *****. Also, compressor plug looks slightly over heated from past over heating