PDA

View Full Version : CARRIER SUPRA 750 MT problems...

UT2SeanWhite
06-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Hey, I'm new to the forum and i need some dire help. I have two Carrier Supra 750 MT units down and I have to trouble-shoot and try to repair them. I'm not too sure how exactly to troubleshoot these machines. I'm an HVAC technician in the Navy and im currently doing a tour in Afghanistan, but i have a time limit to get these up or at least one of them up before i get pulled out to another location. Here are some of the problems that i am currently experiencing;

The units are using shore power as their source and i find that the units are rated for 230v, 60 hz, 3 phase. The units are powered from a generator to a "spider box" then to the reefer units. The volts that i picked up from the unit is 205. I understand that having low voltage can cause a lot of malfunctions? There have been a bunch of the little black display screens that have gone bad and i believe that its an electronic issue, but has to deal with the electricity being fed to the reefer unit. I just dont understand why so many of the display screens have gone bad. Another thing that goes bad or that i get an error code is ALT AUX, which i know now is the alternator. Here's the catch. With the unit, it will work fine half the time on shore power(randomly cuts off when its been running for an hour or two and gives an alarm). I have switched to "road" and it wouldnt start up on road or on shore power for an entire evening, but when i tried to get it working in the morning the next day, it didnt work until the second time i tried to turn it on even later in the morning. I hear a lot of clicking and buzzing from inside the micro processor box and i noticed that one of the little black boxes on the perf board was the cause of the noise. I could bypass the contactor by manually pushing it in but it wouldnt stick. Could there be an electronic failure? Like i said though, it's random when the unit decides to work and when it doesnt. I finally got it to start on "road" but it would turn off with the alarm and fault code ENG OIL. I have changed the oil and the filters, as well as filled the oil level and it still gives me that same fault code. could there be a sensor that may have gone bad? I hope someone reads this, as im in need of some help. I just dont understand it, is all. I have never worked on these units before. Thank you in advance

~Sean

123smc
07-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi Sean, the engine oil alarm ironically has nothing to do with the engine oil but uses the same circuit to determine if the unit is running on diesel. The fault usually means the alternator or brush pack are goosed. This would need to be rectified for the unit to operate on electric also. Hope this helps. Scott

UT2SeanWhite
07-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Ah, gotcha. Luckily i have two units that are down right now and i know for sure the other unit needs an alternator but the one im working on now just started making awful squealing noises from the belts and i would imagine the Alternator since the belts are connected to it. I would turn on the unit, as it is powered by electricity and not fuel, but the unit would kick on and then as soon as the compressor kicked on and everything started turning, it would shift down in speed and the squealing would start. The unit will start on fuel but as soon as the compressor is engaged it shuts off with the ENG OIL error code. What is the brush pack?

cadwaladr
07-06-2012, 10:16 PM
the brush pack is part of the alternator the brushes run on the slip rings as part of the excitation circuit if they are worn then alt will not charge and it senses the ,earth,thats how it knows its not running if they wear out the it thinks its running with no oil pressure,hope this helps the power supply voltage is critical[ shore power] can this volt drop not be rectified?.

UT2SeanWhite
08-06-2012, 08:33 AM
I spoke with the mechanic that im working with and he said that the voltage difference 205 vs 230 wouldnt be that much of a deal. i disagreed with him, but it seems as it IS critical. The voltage is controlled by the generator and i dont have the software to put on my laptop to increase the voltage. Thats why i felt i needed to repair the mechanical portion so it CAN run on fuel and i wont need shore power. Damn. Im getting some alternators and control panels soon. I havent turned on the unit since the squealing.

123smc
08-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi again Sean, it would be worthwhile removing the belts to make sure nothing is seized or locking up it could be that that's causing the squealing noise (generator underneath the electric motor).

UT2SeanWhite
18-06-2012, 11:21 AM
I switched out the alternator. No more squealing. I have another problem. The start will engage every 25-30 seconds. im not sure why, as it was not doing this prior to me switching out the alternator. I checked the Starter relay and its good to go, also the fuses around it. What would make the starter engage every 25 seconds? Bad starter? Possibly bad relay? bad fuse? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.