PDA

View Full Version : Building 20x24 ice cream freezer with ICF's

Jonny p
01-06-2012, 11:05 AM
I have a client who is thinking of building a 20 foot x 24 foot walk in ice cream freezer designed for -20F. The job is located in coastal Maine with a maximum 12-16 week span of high outdoor temp with high humidity. This will be an outdoor installation. I would like to hear from someone that has a similar freezer that has been in service for 2-3 years. They are also thinking of building the unit using stud walls,closed cell spray insul.,etc. Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Toolman
10-06-2012, 11:36 PM
I work with freezer rooms and have built a few , -20F thats pretty cold in my language - 28 celsius , Either way it will be freezing everything in there ,,,but you cant really use stud walls and spray foam !!
You must use 150mm ( 6 inch ) polystyrene panels with the sheetmetal bonded on the faces . Plus you need to
have a floor of the same panel . You can use thinner polyurethane panel but it costs more .
If its outdoor it needs a roof over it as its not 100% waterproof and a roof will help keep the heat load off the room during sunlight - I assume you have sunlight in Maine ?

The next thing is to select the equipment . There a quite a few programs available to do this or the wholesalers will do it .

cadwaladr
11-06-2012, 12:27 AM
buy to reefers and join them together and cover them with a roof to keep out the sunlight,put some commercial plant on them.

smpsmp45
11-06-2012, 11:33 AM
IS it for Distribution business. Must be as the size is very small.

But make a provision of an ante room since the Humidity is on the higher side.

You definitely need a roofing on top of the freezer for any rains etc.

Our 90% freezers are located outside & are on the coastal areas.
Icecream is a tricky business though as the incoming temp as no control & have some safety in ref units selection.

THE DUDE
25-07-2012, 02:27 AM
I agreee 100% with Toolman. I would reccomend installing a Ante room also, as humidity is a killer. Multiple Condensing Units with some Excess capacity is a good form of Redundancy. I service a Box running the same Temp, and lost a Compressor on a 95 deg day. Normaly this would be MAJOR problem,but with the system design and Redundancy it was not detrimental to replace it the following day.