PDA

View Full Version : Cleanup procedure after semi hermetic screw burn out

RANGER1
01-06-2012, 08:30 AM
After some opinions on Hanbell screw semi hermetic screw, burnt out windings on a water chiller.

What are correct procedures to clean it & system up?

Thanks

jdunc2301
01-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Remove old compressor test for acidity of oil**
Flush system pipework, coils etc
New drier
Fit burn out drier
Add acid treatment to new compressor**..........if you use it
Vac and charge system as per normal practice
Return to site after running for a while and test p/drop across burn out drier and follow instructions provided with drier for changing etc

j

RANGER1
01-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Could you change the total refigerant charge, vac out & not install suction burn out filters, only liquid line filter/driers?Also change oil of course.

jdunc2301
01-06-2012, 11:06 PM
I would be reclaiming the whole charge and the new comp will have new oil anyway. You don't have to install burn out driers its entirely up to you. I personally think its job dependant and dependant on acid level and what the customer will pay for. Burn out driers are pricey and a pain to change if reqd if they are brazed in.

Tesla
02-06-2012, 01:46 AM
Hi Ranger keep checking oil acid levels at intervals with TKO acid test kits & change oil until no acid is indicated. Then do an oil analysis lab test to confirm/prove successful clean up. As well as all above of course.
Almost forgot - remove suction line filters (if used) after a month of clean running, they have a tendancy to block up over time & reduce efficiency.

Magoo
02-06-2012, 02:24 AM
Hi Ranger1,
were you able to establish the cause of initial failure.

RANGER1
02-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Thanks for replies, burn out may have been due to faulty starter gear.

I had never heaed of replacing whole charge before, just thought install suction burn out filters.
Obviously oil change & monitor.
The Hanbell also has built in oil seperator, so thought it might need taking off & cleaning, but this did not happen, just oil change for compressor, refrigerant charge change & evacuation.