PDA

View Full Version : fes fuller booster swollen blades

dustinlandrum
29-05-2012, 09:04 PM
I have a fes fuller 250 booster that after the 8 month winter shut down the blades have swollen to the point i cant get them out. any ideas how to shrink them?

Brian_UK
29-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Don't know the item of equipment so, what are the blades made of?

Grizzly
30-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Nor do I, but the ones I used to work on were made of a type of "Teflon" type material.

Which could be described a fibrous which I suppose could indeed absorb oil/ refrigerant.

I which case Dustin.

Warming the blades may boil of some liquid? And may help?
Worth a try!
Grizzly

RANGER1
30-05-2012, 10:15 AM
dustin,
Grizzly is right about warming the blades.
In this type of compressor the blades used to be resin filled asbestos & if left without
a few hours run every few weeks, they can absorb moisture/ammonia & swell up.
Would suggest getting a form of heat like a gas space heater or similar, then aim it into the machine after removing non drive end cover & exposing blades.
It might take a number of hours/days, can't say.
Once blades are free enough to get out without damage, blades should be clamped together between say two pieces of flat steel the lenth of the blades with "G" clamps (usually use 2" angle).
They need then to be heated for a period to shrink back to normal size.
Have used a motor rewinders oven in the past a bit above 212 deg F (110 deg C) for approx 12 hours.
Blades should be free in slots & same length as rotor.
If you have a warm boiler room can also be done but takes a long time.

In the future suggest run compressor an hour or two each week or remove blades from machine when winter set in & put in a warm place.

Install blades same way you take out, clean up any chipped areas, usually on trailing edge.

Let us know how it turns out.

RANGER1
16-06-2012, 04:27 AM
Any news on this one?

Older bldes were asbestos, do not know of the new material.