PDA

View Full Version : compressor oil

kefah
28-05-2012, 10:28 PM
hi
1 question
when replacing compressor
some body
sayed that i must turn on compressor separately before installing to make it throw out its oil outside
somebody say you must flip up it to throw its oil
is that true or not

stufus
28-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Not .....A compressor is not much use without oil in it.
It is however good practice to tip the oil out of the old one and measure the amount in it.
Cheers
Stu

kefah
28-05-2012, 10:38 PM
sorry you didnt undestand me
i mean if i have new compressor
must i turn on compressor separately before installing to make it throw out its oil outside
somebody say you must flip up it to throw its oil

stufus
28-05-2012, 10:42 PM
No I understood you perfectly.
Don't do it....
Cheers
Stu

The Viking
28-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Ehrm,

In one word:

NO.

(First of all, with modern systems and compressors the oil is hygroscopic and will become acidic when exposed to moisture, as in air. YOU DO NOT WANT TO EXPOSE THE INNARDS OF YOUR NEW COMPRESSOR TO ANY MORE AIR THAN YOU NEED TO. Secondly, but equally important, the oil in your new compressor is the cleanest oil in that system, if any oil needs getting rid of it is whatever dirty oil is left in the system. Also remember that the compressor you are taking out is likely to contain a lot of the oil it originally were supplied with)

:cool:

kefah
28-05-2012, 10:49 PM
i saw many people flip up new compressor
when i asked them why you do that
they answered me they do to make compressor throw out its oil
i asked why they answered me if didnt do that oil will block ref system

kefah
28-05-2012, 10:51 PM
remember that the compressor you are taking out is likely to contain a lot of the oil it originally were supplied with)

so you mean that there is no need to take out any oil from new compressor

stufus
28-05-2012, 10:52 PM
It sounds like they were avoiding mixing mineral and POE oil's.
Much easier if you get the right fookin compressor in the first place.
Cheers
Stu

kefah
28-05-2012, 10:52 PM
remember that the compressor you are taking out is likely to contain a lot of the oil it originally were supplied with)

The Viking
28-05-2012, 11:02 PM

Yes, that is what i mean.
If oil need to be removed it should be removed from the system, always use the cleanest oil possible.

Another thing for you to think of...
The only way to remove all the oil from a compressor is to pour it out, by ports or drilled hole but poured out all the same.
By running the compressor you will only manage to get a small amount out. (And are you sure you really want to run the compressor dry?

If the reason is as Stu says above, a compatibility issue, then see previous paragraph above...

jakabus
05-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Yes, that is what i mean.
If oil need to be removed it should be removed from the system, always use the cleanest oil possible.

Another thing for you to think of...
The only way to remove all the oil from a compressor is to pour it out, by ports or drilled hole but poured out all the same.
By running the compressor you will only manage to get a small amount out. (And are you sure you really want to run the compressor dry?

Not true! you can use the vac pump to suck out the oil from the compressor. Although I have only seen it done on belt driven or semi-mermetique compressors. easy, simple oil changes and quick XD

Grizzly
05-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Jakabus.
In defence of Viking I think he like most of us are assuming we are talking about small hermetic compressors.
After all who would suggest flipping the size compressors you are talking about.
Not those of us which I include Viking with years of experience of working on them.

If you read the posts again it is not difficult to work out that it's small hermetic comps that are being discussed.

When jumping in to criticise please take time before doing so.

Because often the posts have to become quite long before all the relevant facts become clear.
Grizzly.

install monkey
05-06-2012, 11:55 AM
on a semi hermetic there should be a drain plug to empty the oil out- you can use a vac pump to pull the oil into the system by pulling a vac on the body and have a gaugeline or copper pipe into the oil can- as for vaccing oil out of a compressor with a vac pump-not recommended.

Not true! you can use the vac pump to suck out the oil from the compressor. Although I have only seen it done on belt driven or semi-mermetique compressors. easy, simple oil changes and quick XD

jakabus
07-06-2012, 08:06 AM
install monkey,
the vac pump is conected to a container, like a oil seperator. you skrew it in to the compressor oil bung/plug cover thing. well where it goes. saves you unbolting it. the part that goes into the compressor reaches down to the bottom of the sump. no where ells is open on the system ofcorse. we done it so we could give oil changes. let us see what the oil was like and how much was in there.

jdunc2301
07-06-2012, 10:36 AM

That's how i drain um.... none of that vac pump nonsense! Pull a vac on the body and use a hose to pull the oil in from can, or if the compressor is big enough simply pour it it, hose connected to sightglass 1/4 connection and compressor tipped forward. But each to their own...

Jay