PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Refrigeration Sacramento

JackWebber
14-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Can someone explain if natural gas can be use as refrigerant?

aramis
17-05-2012, 07:29 PM
First the term “natural gas” refers to several mixtures in different compositions, so you should specify better.

The main components of these mixtures are CO2 and Methane.

Methane has a Critical temperature around -82°C while CO2 around +31°C, so CO2 would behave as an incondensable gas in a Methane cycle.

If you reach the purity necessary for a refrigeration cycle then the term “natural gas” would no longer apply.

Toolman
02-06-2012, 11:42 PM
There was a company in Aussieland that tried to market a refrigerant that had a significant LP gas content . It is possible to have a blend with LP gas but its just too damn dangerous , who wants to die over a fridge .
I went to a job years ago when that gas was sold and found a 20ft open top Freezer running on it .
I happily left the job without doing any work on it . I thought one day I might see that supermarket on the evening news with the roof blown off and some deaths . I didnt happen there but I think a car A/C system went up in flames ...that gas is not on the market now.

soleowner
03-06-2012, 01:04 AM
checking for leaks would be lots of fun :confused:

Josip
03-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Hi, JackWebber :)

Can someone explain if natural gas can be use as refrigerant?

assuming you are thinking about hydrocarbons ... like refrigerant grade propane (R290) or refrigerant grade propene/propylene (R1270) it is possible, but not that simple ....

Best regards, Josip :)