PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview....HELP

jdunc2301
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
So...

I've got a job interview with an AC firm on Wednesday..im a bit nervous. Im a AC and Ref service guy and this lot are predominantly AC....so a little bit nervous, not exactly sure what to expect, or haggle for as far as wages are concerned and overtime....hours and all that lot....

Any pearls of wisdom to tell? Any tips? Advice?

Cheers

Jay

jonjon
07-05-2012, 06:47 PM
depends on who the company is? if its a fm company you can blag them, or if its a proper ac firm theyll ask a few basic questions as for wages depending on experiance and location id say 12ph is a good starting point plus extra for working away, anything after 5pm time and half saturdays time and half sundays double :)

install monkey
07-05-2012, 07:03 PM
overtime rates and working hours are usually cast in stone as well as the vehicle/tracker ask them for a speed limiter! haha- as all you can do really is hope they want you- theyll decide on what they pay you with the usual comment that it will get reviewed in 3-12 months.
usually the interviewer will have a handfull of cv's so the ball is in his court- by the way good luck-unless theyre interviewing for my job then go f**k urself haha

depends on who the company is? if its a fm company you can blag them, or if its a proper ac firm theyll ask a few basic questions as for wages depending on experiance and location id say 12ph is a good starting point plus extra for working away, anything after 5pm time and half saturdays time and half sundays double :)

jdunc2301
07-05-2012, 07:30 PM

Tahey only do AC with a few coldrooms on the books...12ph as a start for negotiating yeah :) ....7 yrs exp, Milton Keynes area... as for the basic questions.....???

overtime rates and working hours are usually cast in stone as well as the vehicle/tracker ask them for a speed limiter! haha- as all you can do really is hope they want you- theyll decide on what they pay you with the usual comment that it will get reviewed in 3-12 months.
usually the interviewer will have a handfull of cv's so the ball is in his court- by the way good luck-unless theyre interviewing for my job then go f**k urself haha

Haha, i didnt apply the normal way, they havent advertised...i literally just rang up and they asked me to come for interview, speed limiter...joking right?

How do these firms normally work, pay a basic 40/hr p/week each month then any overtime paid monthly? How would they sort the hours out, i presume by using the tracker....

and another thing...i tend to stay at the Mrs house a few nights a week....(relaxation purposes haha) and the other nights at home....do you think i should be forthcoming and tell them exactly where il be...as this will obv mean some mornings il be in a diff area, only 10 miles from home, but still...

thanks

install monkey
07-05-2012, 07:41 PM
our gaff use the tracker to compare our timesheet-to comfirm overtime
as for the 2 home addresses- normally u get paid till igniton off no matter which house ur at-minus travel allowance- as for the gung ho approach to getting an interview-they will still tell you they have a drawer full of cv's- unless they got a new contract and cannot meet response times- as for rates of pay it doesnt really matter if ur on 12 quid or 14 quid an hr its the overtime that bumps ur salary up- as its milton keyes then u arent having my job so good luck- hope it works out

Tahey only do AC with a few coldrooms on the books...12ph as a start for negotiating yeah :) ....7 yrs exp, Milton Keynes area... as for the basic questions.....???

Haha, i didnt apply the normal way, they havent advertised...i literally just rang up and they asked me to come for interview, speed limiter...joking right?

How do these firms normally work, pay a basic 40/hr p/week each month then any overtime paid monthly? How would they sort the hours out, i presume by using the tracker....

and another thing...i tend to stay at the Mrs house a few nights a week....(relaxation purposes haha) and the other nights at home....do you think i should be forthcoming and tell them exactly where il be...as this will obv mean some mornings il be in a diff area, only 10 miles from home, but still...

thanks

jdunc2301
07-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Cheers mate! This is all new to me! Everything's pretty simple where I am now! One more thing...travel allowance? Explain?

Sorry to be a pain haha! All this company nonsense!!!

install monkey
07-05-2012, 08:01 PM
our gaff we have to do a 40hr week but we have to give 1/2hr for dinner and 1/2hr in morning and 1/2hr for travelling home= so your out the house for 9.5hrs and get paid for 8 basically if site to home takes 1/2 to get home then ur not getting paid for this- anything over the 9.5hrs is overtime-yay! so to earn more money take the scenic route home -in your case to the furthest gaff,drive slow and let everyone out at junctions,and as u live in milton keyes go round the roundabouts a few times too and ull soon be pulling 50k top whack! haha

Cheers mate! This is all new to me! Everything's pretty simple where I am now! One more thing...travel allowance? Explain?

Sorry to be a pain haha! All this company nonsense!!!

jdunc2301
07-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Oh right I see! So this being fairly normal.. I'd presume that if they expect me to do any more then it's a no no! Like not paying for travel! So time sheets would be done from first ignition on to last ignition off!
My only real worry is pay during the winter months so I need to know a set wage... Thanks again

jdunc2301
07-05-2012, 08:15 PM
50k I wish....

The Viking
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
First groom yourself well, tidy hair, well shaven, clean tidy clothes (NOT JEANS!!) and shiny shoes with laces done up.
Have a good nights sleep before you go for your interview.
Arrive in good time, be at least 1/2 an hour early to the area where the interview is held.

Remember what you have put down in your CV, and be prepared to give details about it.

Research the company as much as you can before you get there (internet) and prepare some questions specific for that company, to show how interested you are in them.

They are likely to ask you what your current salary is (or was if unemployed), don't lie too much here remember that they will get your tax papers as soon as you start working for them...
(Perks are a different matter as it won't show on your tax slips)

You are likely to be asked why you want to work for them / change job, have an answer prepared.

Asking for a salary/wage? This is a hard one and best left with room for negotiations. (One good answer: "How much is your top engineers earning? I would like it if I could be in that top bracket within a few years and for that I am more than willing to both put the work in and train as necessary")

After that, the best you can hope for is a job offer which you then have to decide if it is good enough or not.

Good Luck,

:cool:

install monkey
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
if its an ac company-ur gonna get busy in winter too- digging out condensers and hacking away at coils 8 inch thick of ice to get to fan motors- trying to explain to customers that the unit wont blow hot continuously as it needs to defrost.
just do all the hours possible then theyll think the sun shines out ur arse!

Oh right I see! So this being fairly normal.. I'd presume that if they expect me to do any more then it's a no no! Like not paying for travel! So time sheets would be done from first ignition on to last ignition off!
My only real worry is pay during the winter months so I need to know a set wage... Thanks again

The Viking
07-05-2012, 08:27 PM
One more thing,
Don't get too hung up on the working hours/travel bit...
The way they calculate how to pay you and what for will vary from company to company. Instead of thinking about it now just concentrate on getting the job offer in the bag, after all they are likely to give you the same terms as the rest of their engineers. When you get the offer then is the time to start the calculations to see if it's worth it or not for you.

:cool:

jdunc2301
07-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Well said, yeah your all right. I seem to hold my own in interviews and do reasonably well!

Yeah you've got a point with the AC in winter, we don't do too much at my current firm nothing important anyway :D

The whole reason for changing is to try and get a better..."base wage" and start getting some decent overtime in...at the moment i have access to no overtime at all...theres many a weekend that id much rather work, the alternative is haging out with the mrs .......shopping!

I think your right in saying to wait for the offer to come in...haggle for the most i can and once i have the offer i can calculate it versus my current position!

Bit concerened tho...when i was talking to the MD he said..... "what about compressors".....my answer "what about them"...."well do you change them?!?!" me "all the time...if theyre needed" kinda made me think this guy doesn't have a service side and if he does and they dont do compressor changes...whats going on haha

The Viking
07-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Nah,
You would be surprised if you knew how many people who worked half a lifetime in the industry without knowing how to diagnose a compressor, let alone how to change one.

jdunc2301
08-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Oh right we'll if that's the case they might be interested in me, if they ain't doing comps they won't be doing bearings fans etc..... So what are these lot doing haha

install monkey
08-05-2012, 09:40 PM
whats a compressor?:p

Nah,
You would be surprised if you knew how many people who worked half a lifetime in the industry without knowing how to diagnose a compressor, let alone how to change one.