PDA

View Full Version : Unvented Hot water heating systems G3 and F gas

nevgee
03-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Just a small gripe about the reality that Plumbers and heating engineers are taking the f gas quals so they can install heatpumps without any prior experience in refrigeration or air con.

has anyone on here managed to get the Unvented Hot water heating systems G3 qualification?

I have made enquiries at various training providers and colleges only to be told that Formal qualifications in plumbing and heat are required or witness proven 2 year experience with a site operative is essential.

This sort of takes the biscuit with me as I find the majority of Plumbers are not best suited for their own trade never mind entering the realms of refrigeration.
Just recently I have seen ground source heat pumps where a heating engineer had replaced the sight glasses on Copeland compressors with 3/4" bsp galv iron stop plugs, because the glasses were leaking? He'd sealed the threads with boss white and hemp?

r.bartlett
03-05-2012, 02:43 PM
thats mad - everybody uses loctite 55 these days..

jdunc2301
03-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Agreed!

I spent quite alot of time dealing with Air and Grd source units on new builds, i looked into it and to become qualified they said the same..... so plumbers can push in on our market.....but we can't on theirs.....pretty annoying when im attending calls to these units in the depths of winter and the Installers/Plumber does'nt even know know how they work.....

Jay

r.bartlett
03-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Unfortunately our trade is to blame not the plumbers who are organised properly

jdunc2301
03-05-2012, 05:19 PM
So true....all the regulations and laws...no one to enforce or even know how

monkey spanners
03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
This reads like they don't require a formal plumbing qualification.

http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/unvented-courses

install monkey
03-05-2012, 06:46 PM
ive got me unvented- so i can work on gas fired direct cylinders- cant touch the gas though or the flues- but im allowed to fault find- 1 day course- basically all you have to do is turn up- and be able to size a drain by using the charts

install monkey
03-05-2012, 06:47 PM
surprised he didnt fit an auto air vent too!! and a quick fill connection

frank
03-05-2012, 09:46 PM
I've also got the G3 qual which comes in handy when installing the ASHP and GSHP.
Took mine with some training provider in Brum......can't think of the name at the mo but can look it up if interested.

Brian_UK
03-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Yep, one day course for unvented, got mine and at the end was told that we can't really install them as I hadn't got my WRAS ticket for the cold water supply. DOH!

frank
04-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Here's the link to the Training provider in Birmingham http://www.radmidlands.co.uk/

RSTC
04-05-2012, 05:42 PM

Must agree. In fact, it's a conversation I've been having alot lately.

glenn1340
04-05-2012, 06:36 PM
I work on high pressure industrial gas compressors and systems up to 40 bar but I can`t touch piddly stuff measured in millibars.

Magoo
05-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Plumbers and Electricians have it over us all as being registared trades.
My pet hate subject. Can only suggest that everyone bombards their local MP with emails for equality as a trade.
grumpy Magoo

nevgee
07-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Yep, one day course for unvented, got mine and at the end was told that we can't really install them as I hadn't got my WRAS ticket for the cold water supply. DOH!

Brian,
I'm not so sure, but understand there is no requirement to notify a heat pump install, therefore no requirement to have a WRAS ticket which would be needed if you want to be registered as an Approved
plumber.

nevgee
07-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Can only suggest that everyone bombards their local MP with emails for equality as a trade.
grumpy Magoo

Yup, couldn't agree more with that ... Mp's BRA Institute etc copy an email to the world and shout it out.

Magoo
08-05-2012, 02:06 AM
To stir things up write letters to Editor of local newspapers , and local Green Party people. All to do with the enviroment and global warming., turn around all that stuff to our advantage for trade registration.
My local MP is a waste of space, only time I here from him is re-election time. So will concider the wider public opinion for a reaction and political pressure. Ammonia is the way to go, zero everything- ozone depletion and global warming. If all else fails sue god for all the volcanic outbursts.
still Gumpy magoo

nevgee
08-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Dear Grumpy.
Is all of this worth the energy? After all we're all doomed, the sun is due to go super Nova in a number of years or so. Even then, we are of the Sun, children of the universe, we're just going to become once more clouds of particles floating around in space for a few million years and then what? Space dust!

So why worry .... the forces will take us and deliver us somewhere .. just like the plastic floating around the Oceans getting ready for a mass collection in the middle of the Pacific.
Why should we trouble ourselves over such futility? unless of course we end up with a cloud of plumbing particles ..:eek: