PDA

View Full Version : Temp control on reach-in cooler

mchild
02-05-2012, 02:02 AM
I have recently received a Beverage Air MT72 three door reach-in refrigerator that is about 10 years old. We will be using it on our farm to keep fresh eggs cool but not cold.

I am trying to determine if the temp control is working properly. If the temp control is set on a lower setting such as number 1, it will cycle the compressor on when the air temp in the box is 14.4*C (58*F) and off when the box air temp is 4.4*C (40*F). This seems like a large swing in box temp. Is this normal or do I have a problem with the temp controller?

Thank you.

chemi-cool
02-05-2012, 04:54 AM
You need some kind of thermometer to see the temp, then you can adjust it.

mikeref
02-05-2012, 08:08 AM
And it depends on whether the thermostat is reading cabinet air temperature, or evaporator temperature, as some brands of 2, 3 and 4 door coolers do here.
Product temperature will not follow air temperature that quickly, so your average product temperature will be around 49 degrees F, or about 9 degrees C.

mchild
02-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Thank you both for your responses -

The unit does have a thermometer installed and I have also placed a second one in the cabinet temporarily to confirm the installed one is reading accurately. Both are giving me the readings I posted.

I have not pulled the cover off the evaporator to see whether the temp control cap tube is set to read air temp or evap temp.

So, do these swings in air temp seem correct for this type of unit?

frank
02-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Place a bowl or bucket of water in the fridge and then use the water temperature to determine the thermostat settings.

It's no good measuring air temperatures...you need the product temperature.

IIRC the ideal temp for egg storage is +10C.

mchild
02-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Place a bowl or bucket of water in the fridge and then use the water temperature to determine the thermostat settings.

It's no good measuring air temperatures...you need the product temperature.

IIRC the ideal temp for egg storage is +10C.

Thanks frank that is a good suggestion to take temp from a bowl of water. Yes, we were hoping the cooler would be able to keep the eggs in that temp range.