PDA

View Full Version : daikin intallers

sokold
29-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Hi, just wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with D1 install companies.
Specifically, a guy i work with (basically a labourer, no F-gas certificate, no quals. but he can

braze and has about 10 years experience on supermarket installs) He's lined himself up with

some sub contrat work installing vrv's and apparently, a daikin guy comes along and commissions
it when everything's been installed

I told him that he's going to have to use ofn when he's brazing and as it's a Daikin job,

the commissioning engineer is going to be expecting rolls royce pipe work and general high

quality.

I'm a fridge guy and have only installed a few cassettes and splits in my time but he reckons he

can just sling it in with no comebacks !

I only let him braze and drill holes because his work is always scruffy and i like my work to look

100% and proffessional.

Am i talking rubbish or is he setting himself up for a fall ?

install monkey
29-04-2012, 01:39 PM
the daikin comissioning eng will ask if the refnets are horizontal,if the comms is unscreened- then he'll expect to see the indoors,bs units on the outdoors- then start it up- usually the spend a lot of time on the phone and the comissioning sheet is vague-
Hi, just wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with D1 install companies.
Specifically, a guy i work with (basically a labourer, no F-gas certificate, no quals. but he can

braze and has about 10 years experience on supermarket installs) He's lined himself up with

some sub contrat work installing vrv's and apparently, a daikin guy comes along and commissions

I told him that he's going to have to use ofn when he's brazing and as it's a Daikin job,

the commissioning engineer is going to be expecting rolls royce pipe work and general high

quality.

I'm a fridge guy and have only installed a few cassettes and splits in my time but he reckons he

I only let him braze and drill holes because his work is always scruffy and i like my work to look

100% and proffessional.

sokold
29-04-2012, 01:59 PM
the daikin comissioning eng will ask if the refnets are horizontal,if the comms is unscreened- then he'll expect to see the indoors,bs units on the outdoors- then start it up- usually the spend a lot of time on the phone and the comissioning sheet is vague-

thanks for that,

I'll have to admit i was wrong now :)

install monkey
29-04-2012, 02:11 PM
d1 means that daikin will supply kit to you direct,your on their approved contractor list and you can sew daikins logo on your shoulder,and occasionally you get a wolley hat or a pen off the rep- but you have to spend around 30k a year-although 10yrs experiance is good the fact that f gas /proper training-does help-also i thought you couldnt install a vrv without going on the installation course.

install monkey
29-04-2012, 02:21 PM
https://rapidshare.com/files/2168608583/AC_Commissioning_Log.pdf;
before anyone asks i didnt install this!:o

sokold
29-04-2012, 02:24 PM
d1 means that daikin will supply kit to you direct,your on their approved contractor list and you can sew daikins logo on your shoulder,and occasionally you get a wolley hat or a pen off the rep- but you have to spend around 30k a year-although 10yrs experiance is good the fact that f gas /proper training-does help-also i thought you couldnt install a vrv without going on the installation course.

the guy he's going to work for gets jobs given to him from daikin then subs it out. He's got 10 years exp. but doesn't have a clue about how anything works, he just brazes up pipe etc. Well that's the story he told me !

install monkey
29-04-2012, 02:31 PM
as long as his subbies are good then he might be ok- also depends on if he can price jobs correctly- unless he's relying on his subbies to do that then stick a mark up on it!- you never know you might get a few reactive calls .

sokold
29-04-2012, 02:49 PM
it's starting to sound like the perfect crime! all the materials are supplied, including ladders/genie lifters etc...even oxy/acet.
he just has to turn up with a spanner and a tape measure and install it.....for a price

monkey spanners
29-04-2012, 03:14 PM
You need an F-Gas ticket to be doing any form of pipe work, or anything that could lead to an escape of refrigerant for that mater. So even a sparks messing about with a control circuit should have a ticket!

Well thats my understanding anyway :D

r.bartlett
29-04-2012, 05:32 PM
D1 is as we know a sales driven tool and nothing else. If you can sell the kit you'll get the D!. apparently you are required to attend courses but if the buyer or boss attends that's good enough.No questions asked.

If a sale is dependant upon it then it's a particularly moral salesman who refuses and of course they can always deny warranty or issue a ratification notice to the installer...

Then you have contractors buying work so cutting corners is getting the norm. The last install I was totally impressed with was a Mitsi R2 by a firm in Bristol....Absolutely top install.

Steven_AC
05-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Who's going to pressure test the system? They need f-gas, he can braze the pipe work but needs to be supervised by someone with f gas? Could be wrong that's what I was taught at John Ellis training center

AbsoluteWDJ
05-05-2012, 11:44 AM

quality.

100% and proffessional.

In my years of working in this industry the standards appear to have dropped while more regulations have been created, bit of a paradox really! The key is education and attitude. Education is gained by carry out the job, asking questions and lets face it, making mistakes, it's what we call experience. Attitude is something you have to teach yourself. If you say he's just 'slinging it in' 'with no comebacks' and 'his work is always scruffy' then guy has the wrong attitude and he probably is setting himself up for a fall but no F-Gas certificate or qualifications will improve this. The Daikin engineer can ask the question about OFN purging but he cannot see through copper, so this again comes down to the guys attitude.