PDA

View Full Version : Using Oxygen and Acetylene Cylinders

Grizzly
20-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Hi Guys.
Back in the dim and distant past when just a sprog, I was taught that when preparing to use Oxy/Acetylene cylinders.
You open both using the bottle key, so that either can be shut off in 1 quick movement. You should not have to reinsert the bottle key to close off the valve.
Also that it was necessary to leave the bottle key in the Acetylene Cylinder. Because this was the catalyst and Oxygen will not burn on it's own.

With this in mind I asked our apprentice to set up the porta-pack prior to doing some brazing. Asking how he had been taught to set them up?

"Open both valves 1/2 a turn and leave the key in the Oxygen!"

Apparently He and his contemporaries have been told you leave the key in the Oxygen as that is the cylinder that would explode! (Due to the Higher pressures I assume?)

What does anyone think?

Grizzly

install monkey
20-04-2012, 10:32 PM
buy 2 bottle keys- problem solved:D

Brian_UK
20-04-2012, 10:53 PM
I suppose that you could say the the oxygen will help to 'feed' a fire but as you say the acetylene is a fuel source.

mikeref
20-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Bottles here don't have keys. Hand valves now and flash-back arrestors on your lines. Shut off Acetylene first.

monkey spanners
20-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Think i'd leave the key in the acetylene bottle, though since switching to A-gas, they have hand valves so no key needed!

Am looking at an alternative to acetylene that is safer but still has a similar heat output, will post details if its a goer!

install monkey
20-04-2012, 11:29 PM
petrogen system is the way forward -get 1 bought monkeyspanners , cant wait to see the videos you could do with 1 of them
http://youtu.be/SabpLuqd2ZA

monkey spanners
20-04-2012, 11:40 PM
petrogen system is the way forward -get 1 bought monkeyspanners , cant wait to see the videos you could do with 1 of them
http://youtu.be/SabpLuqd2ZA

Their uk agent is at a trade show next month so am planning to go and see how much damage i could do with one!

cadwaladr
21-04-2012, 06:38 PM
they key in the oxygen and cracked open half a turn thats what i was taught

Tradewinds
21-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Hi Guys,
This image is taken from the BRA Brazing code of practice and relates to leaving the key in the acetylene as this is the fuel gas and source of combustion.

Hope that helps.

PaulZ
23-04-2012, 11:41 AM
I was taught the same as you Griz, leave the key in the Acetylene bottle but as mikeref said all the bottles here have hand valves so no longer require a bottle key.
Paul

jdunc2301
28-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Did a renewal on a Pipework and Brazing course a couple of years ago and they said Oxygen.....makes no real difference now that my acetylene bottle has a hand valve.....

RANGER1
28-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Side issue, but are the dangers or grease,oil/oxygen being mixed bought up these days with the big push on safety
& awareness?

ronse
01-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Side issue, but are the dangers or grease,oil/oxygen being mixed bought up these days with the big push on safety
& awareness?

Just finished a Brazing course - yes they often mentioned the explosive mix of grease and oxygen.

No mention of which key to be left in but we used propane as they couldn't get insurance for acetylene. Hand valves on propane and key left in oxygen.

stufus
01-05-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm sure it is still mentioned as a matter of course ,however some twat over here decided to pressure test a condenser with oxygen a couple of years back in a multi story carpark. the resulting blast almost killed three of them as the low ceiling left no room to disapate the blast .
Suppose you live and learn (if you get a second chance)
Cheers
Stu

& awareness?