PDA

View Full Version : Copper vs aluminum

Acrisoft
17-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Aluminium is half the price of copper.

Are there disadvantages using aluminium tubes instead of copper in SPLIT air conditioning installation ?

Moises

stufus
17-04-2012, 08:31 PM
So far the main disadvantage (going on the evidence presented on forum) is the twats that are selling or manufacturing it can't give a straight answer!!!!

Cheers

Stu

install monkey
17-04-2012, 08:49 PM
charlie potts will have the definitive answer when he rips a unit out in 6months time-if it holds out

RSTC
18-04-2012, 01:39 PM
@Stufus: spot on!

Emmett
18-04-2012, 03:20 PM
It appears to me that the automtive industry uses aluminum for thier A/C systems. a side from all the leaks I have on my van i'd say it might could probably work.

stefs_cruiser
20-04-2012, 01:04 AM
The difference I see withthe automotive industry, is the folowing

In automotive the pipes are manufactured with formed ends, such as 'O' ring or block fittings.

They are more often then not aluminium to aluminium, no brass flare nuts etc.

If you do make a flare with the aluminium pipe, what torque do you use on the flare fittings, as the alluminium is slightly thicker and has a different compression rate?

As we alway have moisture around thepipes etc, how do the different metals behave in regards to corroision?

I don't mind the idea of alloy or aluminium pipes, but I still have too many unanswered questions...

Magoo
20-04-2012, 03:57 AM
Aluminium is widely used in evaporators in ammonia applications, fully welded though., and flanged connections. Have not ever seen any pitting corrosion problems.

techguy
28-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Hi Guy's

The main problems with the coiled aluminium is there doesn't seem to be any quality standard for it and you can't guarentee the make up or the quality of the piping when you buy it. Could be good tubing could be cheap it's a lottery. Also as above it seems to work ok in small diameter with welded or formed joints. But with the tests we have run on flared joints , espically on heat pumps where you get a lot of expansion and contraction due to the heat change in the systems during auto change over and defrost cycles. We have found that the flares leak after approx 3-4 months. But make your own mind up.

T

TonyECO
04-05-2012, 02:14 PM
In reply to this - there is a lot of communication about aluminium pipe - however it would be best if indicated which actual product you are using as there are a few options out there - with some working as it should and others not

Thanks