View Full Version : F-Gas Requirements

16-04-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm hoping someone can put me right on this.
Basically, i have a friend who works for a HVAC maintenance company his job entails cleaning filters on splits, vrv, and package units,
It is my understanding to do this you require at LEAST C&G 2079 CATIII or equivelant,
I'm sure that i read all persons carrying out the installation,service, maintenance or repair to systems covered by F-gas regs must hold the above qualification.

i say changing belts cleaning filters is maintenance work therefore you need to hold the above.

He says he doesnt break into the fridge circuit so he doesnt need it.

install monkey
16-04-2012, 10:34 PM
our gaff sometimes uses plumbers to bash filters then leave me to check the fridge side- this affects my overtime-they should stick to rodding pipes and boiler swaps and robbin everyone for tap washers and syphons-sorry rant over- all trades should stick to their own kit-otherwise u end up with a workforce of multiskilled mutants.
example- plumber picks up a set of gauges out the stores,decides to be a hero in diagnosing an ac problem- he was sent there to see if it was either filters/belts/set wrong- clever d**k tries fitting 1/4 gaugelines onto a 410 system-lost over 1kg of gas trying to fit gauges!

16-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Sad to say that I believe he is right, there isn't an F-Gas requirement to be ticketd just to clean filters.

He is not however allowed to do or comment on anything else, I think....

17-04-2012, 12:21 AM
That's my point Brian, surely cleaning filters fitting belts etc is classed as maintaining therefore the need to be qualified

17-04-2012, 07:14 AM

I understand your concern as to many unregulated acts go on.

But in fairness changing a (I assume you mean the paper type) Filter can hardly constitute being a Fridgie.
Hundreds of M&E guys do that every day and don't profess to be A/C Engineers.
Nor should they need to be, ask anyone who work in the Supermarket field.
Carpenters have been known to respond to call outs so that the company concerned complies.

When they are expected to start actually doing more then it can get interesting.

I would choose your argument carefully on this one the are many large (predominantly F & M) companies that abuse the term multi skilled.

But changing filters is so basic your argument would be like saying you have to be a qualified Electrician to switch the lights on or off.

Or like the H&S guy that was telling me the other day that his European Boss was suggesting the all the safety auditors were issued with Ammonia escape hoods.
So that they could audit the likes of me in ammonia plant rooms!


17-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Hi James. I'm going to annoy everybody here but EC 303:2008 covers handling Fluorinated gases only. So the electrics, controls, air side of things are not relevant to this legislation.


health and safety at work and BS standards will cover other aspects of maintenance, so your friend may not be acting with impunity.

Just a small point: Cat III is for reclamation of F-Gases only (eg for scrap or demolition crews)
Cat IV is for leak testing (which may be more useful for a worker carrying out a non-invasive maintenance inspection)
Cat II is for commissioning, service and reclaim up to 3kg
Cat I is up to and above 3 kG