PDA

View Full Version : CO2 chrarging in low ambient

headgasket
07-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi anyone one had problems with charging with CO2 when it’s bloody cold?

cold.man
07-04-2012, 09:06 PM
what type of system is it ?

headgasket
08-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Tesco star packs, Advansor, Just a general enquire, if anyone has come across this, you can overcome this by lowering the suction set point, to get below the standing pressure of the bottle. or put the bottle in your van and drive around with the heater on for a hour :D

jpsmith1cm
08-04-2012, 04:31 PM
I suppose that it's no different than charging any other refrigerant when it is cold.

You must create a pressure difference between the container and the system to create flow.

Lower the system pressure or heat the container to raise that pressure.

Brian_UK
08-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Use a bottle warmer.

cold.man
08-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Tesco star pack lower the suction target pressure via the 255 but be careful because as your putting the bottle in and your pressure rises in the gas cooler it can cause the discharge PRV to blow off because the fans can be a bit slow on reacting to the pressure. On the advansor packs lower the HPR receiver pressure via parameter n71 on the 356 controller to around 32 bar 31 minimum and that would drag the bottle in no problem.
You can reduce the HPR pressure by the 255 aswell but i just do it via the 356 i find it quicker.

headgasket
09-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks cold. Man for that tip, I haven't had to recharge an advanser pack yet not like star packs I am always adding CO2 to them.

cold.man
09-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Most leaks i have found have been at the transducers, or schraider valves. dont think many tescos have the advansor packs mainly star packs. I think they have now been around and got rid of the vulcan fittings on all stores aswell and braized the pipework which should of been done in the first place in my opinion.
I find the advansor packs alot better than the star packs the SCM packs are ok aswell but the layout is poor.

On charging the advansor packs just remember when charging get the correct pressure in the charging line with vapour as you would with the star packs but ensure the charging port is fully open before opening the bottle because you will blow the PRV on the charging line.
Not sure about the sites you work on but most should have a static charging line fitted and these should have a PRV fitted.

headgasket
09-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for that, I think we might work for the same company? Had a tee piece go today on a Vulcan fitting, in my area they only went round and redid the tees.

cold.man
09-04-2012, 08:16 PM
i think we do mate !!!!! as far as i am aware they have got rid of the vulcan fitting in the manchester/cumbria area in all Co2 Tesco stores. And as i am sure you are aware sainsburys have the advansor and SCM packs.
We have no tesco stores with advansor do any tesco in your area have advansor?

headgasket
10-04-2012, 07:07 AM
only one, we did the install and as far as i know, no problems yet, i have looked at a few vulcan fittings that are over a year old, and they are as rusty as F###, god knows what the inside of them will be like in 5 to 10 years time when the acid in the system starts to take effect.