PDA

View Full Version : HP on Trane chiller

Kirky
03-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Hi all hope all is well

Got a on going problem with a Trane chiller unit ECGAN900 R407C. The unit has been in use for 6 years and from the very start has suffered with HP faults during summer ambients of 22 degC and above. There are two separate circuits on the chiller circuit one tripping as soon as the sun peers round the clouds. They have struggled by for the past 6 years on circuit 2. We routinely chemically clean the coils and regularly check the fans. We have had Trane in and they have changed the HP cutouts on both circuits. We have also put up a sun shade as the coil on circuit one sits in direct sunlight most of the day. This year things have gone from bad to worse both circuits are tripping during relatively low ambient conditions. 15-20 deg. I have cleaned the coils and fans are ok. We have good water flow. I have checked the HP cutouts they are ok tripping at 28 bar as set. The site is a papermill so going to clean coils again I suppose it could be non condensables but Trane usually send good engineers. Many have tried over the years to sort the problem and now it's my turn so any pearls of wisdom gratefully received

AlexG
03-04-2012, 01:37 PM
I feced such problem 10 years ago due to condenser was clogged. You have to clean it from inside by pressurized air (not water). To be sure check air flow through condenser if you have technical data for this chiller.
Good luck

james10
03-04-2012, 02:07 PM
is it possible to alter the fan speed or fan cut in-out temp/pressure? i had a few york units giving me the same problem, a quick parameter change and they've been fine ever since, sometimes the answer is staring us in the face and we cant see the woods for the trees :)

martinw58
03-04-2012, 10:02 PM
has the gas charge been checked and checked with pt chart

install monkey
03-04-2012, 11:06 PM
can u not limit the loading of the chiller to say 50%

Kirky
05-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Cheers guys all good points. Yes the charge is correct and im looking into the rest i will update soon

redroge
05-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Blow out the coils with ofn with the fans running, pointing up or down at an angle to get between the passes, the face of the coil may look clean but with close finning its suprising how much dust will come out.

jason09
17-06-2012, 05:05 AM
there is obviously problems with this unit would be easier if you put some pressures and temperatures in description , im not sure what the design temps are in your area , if you dont want to find the root issue just rig up automatic sprinkler system , it could just contribute to compressor failure but hey a fella got to get paid!

install monkey
17-06-2012, 12:31 PM
its never sunny in manchester- so my guess is shortcycling- condenser rejected air getting sucked back in
Hi all hope all is well

Got a on going problem with a Trane chiller unit ECGAN900 R407C. The unit has been in use for 6 years and from the very start has suffered with HP faults during summer ambients of 22 degC and above. There are two separate circuits on the chiller circuit one tripping as soon as the sun peers round the clouds. They have struggled by for the past 6 years on circuit 2. We routinely chemically clean the coils and regularly check the fans. We have had Trane in and they have changed the HP cutouts on both circuits. We have also put up a sun shade as the coil on circuit one sits in direct sunlight most of the day. This year things have gone from bad to worse both circuits are tripping during relatively low ambient conditions. 15-20 deg. I have cleaned the coils and fans are ok. We have good water flow. I have checked the HP cutouts they are ok tripping at 28 bar as set. The site is a papermill so going to clean coils again I suppose it could be non condensables but Trane usually send good engineers. Many have tried over the years to sort the problem and now it's my turn so any pearls of wisdom gratefully received