PDA

View Full Version : old gas cylinders

r.bartlett
02-04-2012, 06:32 PM
where do you dump old gas cylinders as our scrappy said he can't take them

oh and I was told today A-Gas has 30k outstanding bottles which they are going to clamp down on by introducing heavy fines for non returners

Grizzly
02-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Our scrappy accepts them provided the valve is unscrewed first.
Obviously A gas have realised how much BOC have made via that route in the past!
Grizzly

monkey spanners
02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Pikie mate of mine takes them, have to take the valves out first or knock the tab out on the disposables.

But wholesalers should take them back, even the disposable ones so long as they sell that brand of refrigerant e.g. A-Gas to climate centre etc

frank
02-04-2012, 09:13 PM
oh and I was told today A-Gas has 30k outstanding bottles which they are going to clamp down on by introducing heavy fines for non returners

Received a letter today from FSW with a list of outstanding cylinders they said we hadn't returned....going back to 2007 ......28 cylinders!! :eek:

install monkey
02-04-2012, 09:59 PM
normally when rental bottles arent returned within 12 mth of purchase,there is a charge of upto £100 per bottle(dumpy) then job done-no more charges- unfortunatly as frank pointed out the paid for bottles still show up on the bottle statement, wolsley/climate can print this off for you.
also when u return nitro to a different branch u might not get the deposit off the bottle-happy bottle hunting!!!- a scrap yard in manchester will take old gas bottles,beer kegs,anything shiny-not naming companies on here though!

djbe
02-04-2012, 10:13 PM
We used to have to cut the old disposables before our scrappy would take them, knocking out the tab wasn't enough for them.

None disposables belong to the supplying company so contact them and tell them they can collect them? I am sure it must be worth their while unless they cost pence to produce?

Many years ago we inherited a large qty of Gasco bottles in a liquidation sale, they were all empty. Called Gasco and told them we have x No. of your bottles here would you like them. Yes please they said, then we asked how much they were going to give us for them. In the end we managed to get a bottle of R22 in exchange, was better than nothing

cadwaladr
07-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Received a letter today from FSW with a list of outstanding cylinders they said we hadn't returned....going back to 2007 ......28 cylinders!! :eek:yes one of my clients had one for cylinders he never had even some r22reclaim which i know he never had the guy does have 8 of there cylinders but the numbers of these does not appear on the list?

xamtex
19-04-2012, 04:33 AM
i cut my empty disposables with the angle grinder then hit the cut with a big hammer...makes a big hole and then just get rid in the scrap...no problems.

djbe
19-04-2012, 08:19 PM
i cut my empty disposables with the angle grinder then hit the cut with a big hammer...makes a big hole and then just get rid in the scrap...no problems.

We used to punch the plug out leave them standing then cut with oxy/acy torch! But even if they had been standing open to the atmosphere for months you still got that acrid burning refrigerant smell occasionally. I can only assume it some how impregnated into the steel canister.

To be honest am glad disposables are a a thing of the past, was always a pain with bottles building up around you as there were more important things to do.