PDA

View Full Version : LG Cassette

Abe
20-11-2005, 10:10 AM
This morning its freezing cold...carpet of frost over ground, outside temp hovering around freezing

Customer rang............cassette keeps cutting out, and outside coil frosted over.

I told him temps are too low and outdoor unit is frosting over far more quickly and hence defrosting regularly.

My question is:

What is the best outside temp for a heat pump?
Are todays temperatures too cold? For system to work satisfactorily

frank
20-11-2005, 12:26 PM

Daikin heat pump splits are designed to operate within design spec down to -15C ambient :)

chillin out
20-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Why not fit a stat connected to a timer so that when coil starts to freeze it will do a timed defrost?

Chillin:) :)

rbartlett
20-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Why not fit a stat connected to a timer so that when coil starts to freeze it will do a timed defrost?

Chillin:) :)

it already has a defrost initiation/termination as part of the controls as have all hp's.

cheers

richard

Karl Hofmann
20-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Even LG kit has facilities to defrost the coils and the recent cold spell should not have given problems. The colder it gets outside, the longer a unit will spend in defrost, and so lose its abillity to heat. I had a couple of LG units last year that suffered from icing problems where even the defrost couldn't cope, and LG could offer no help. I weighed out the refrigerant and found them to be short compared to what LG say should have been in there, so a recharge to the correct amount solved my problem, nice and simple.

Not fitted an LG since

Some of the smaller LG stuff (Artcool and the like)decides to go to defrost mode by measuring the fall in heat output from the indoor unit. (As I understand it)

Abe
20-11-2005, 10:25 PM
From now on I only fit Daikin and Fujitsu

Nothing else

Loadsa Garbage can seriously dent your credibility , image and your pocket

Karl Hofmann
20-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Cant disagree with that. Daikin, Tosh and Sanyo for me

Abe
21-11-2005, 09:23 PM
I dont Mind Mitsu Electric, I havent fitted Tosh or any other, so cant say

eggs
21-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Speaking of Tosh..

Last week i istalled some of those 14kw inverter cassettes.
They use a single fan condensing unit, which only weighs 86kg's:D

To look at the condensing units, you would swear they are only 5kw.

cheers

eggs

Karl Hofmann
21-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Yes, I've fitted a few Sanyo 10 and 12Kw inverter units and they are the same, around the size of Mitsi 5Kw units on R22 or R407c and best of all you can have this on single phase. Recently I have fitted quite a few Tosh 4.5Kw inverter wall mounts and the kit is so light and compact and quiet too.

I never used to even consider Tosh when they were sold by HRP because they made it clear to me that they were not interested in small orders, recently I have been dealing with a company called CDL from the North East and I find them to be far more interested in my business.

Abe
22-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Karl,

Would u mind offering the phone number of CSL pse

Karl Hofmann
22-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Here you go Abe,

CDL ( Cool Designs Ltd)

Their Sunderland number is 0191 5659940 but they also have a branch in Warrington 01925 444488

Abe
22-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Thx Karl.

I shant forget to tell them who gave me their number!!
Maybe more discount for you, maybe even a christmass pressie

Darren W
23-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Normally -4 deg. c. If anything like the last set of LG I worked on, 3 cassettes at 7kw each installed, rough calculation, 50kw minimum required, consequence of which outdoor unit working its nuts off and freezing up in less than half an hour in a 10 degree ambient.

Darren W
23-11-2005, 09:41 PM
:mad:
This morning its freezing cold...carpet of frost over ground, outside temp hovering around freezing

Customer rang............cassette keeps cutting out, and outside coil frosted over.

I told him temps are too low and outdoor unit is frosting over far more quickly and hence defrosting regularly.

My question is:

What is the best outside temp for a heat pump?
Normally -4c. Last LG I had with this fault it was +10c outside. 3 x 7kw cassettes were installed by either John Wayne or Butch Cassidy. It was in a 10 lane, ten pin bowling alley which also had a bar. A rough guess, this required at least 50kw. Consequence was outdoor units working non stop, heat exchanger freezing up within 15 minutes and eventally sheared off one of the fan blades. Bloody cowboys.

Abe
23-11-2005, 09:50 PM
The system is not undersized in this particular application.
Its worked all summer just fine.

I havent heard anything from customer since Sunday, so I expect things are fine.

However, this is one of those customers, slightest variation in running pattern and he is on the phone.

He listens to the fan, if it goes off.............The fans stopped!!! etc etc.....

Nightmare customer.

I did not go to site after he called me. I knew the fan had stopped because it was on a defrost. It was cold so the outdoor unit was icing up.

LG do not have low ambient kit fitted either

And , customer said.............Ive turned ALL the storage heaters off in the shop..........Why isnt the AC doing its job.

He ommitted to remind me what I told him...........that a heat pump provides a supplementary heat source and its efficiency reduces with decreasing outdoor ambient temperatures.

Now, I am drawing up contracts for customers to sign...........before I undertake any further install work.

Darren W
23-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Sounds like you do have a problem, I wish you the best of luck sorting it. Wasn't implying you'd undersized, thought you might have inherited trouble like I did, sorry if gave that impression. Sure you've been there, done that, got the tee-shirt.