PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Mapp gas.

Grizzly
02-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Yesterday afternoon I refilled my vehicle after working away last week.
Part of the tools reinstated is a brand new mappgas cylinder (purchased last week) and left tightly on the cylinder.
Having just opened the drivers door to defrost the windscreen etc.
I was hit by a huge stink of Mapp Gas, we had the same with my colleagues Friday morning.
Neither torch smell as such?
Any suggestions?
Grizzly

taz24
02-04-2012, 09:41 AM

Hi Griz (put the ciggies out)

wer'nt the Rothenburgers recalled at the end of last year
in Australia due to leaking valves?

If it was disconected then it relys on the one way valve!!!!
If it was connected to the gun was the button pressed in by accident?

All the best

taz

Tesla
02-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Grizzly that's disturbing

I bought some mapp gas (for the first time available this year) two weeks ago and used it last Friday but haven't checked (if it's leaking) as it's in the back of the ute. Now I'm paranoid and will check it before I go to work tomorrow. I disconnect it from the regulator each time and put the flimsy cap on - it should be like a refrigerant cap that would stop any gas leaking even if the valve failed. And yes I smoke but hope the alarm dissabler will set it off first.

monkey spanners
02-04-2012, 04:46 PM
I never leave the torch on mine now, years ago i did some brazing in an office, went down stairs to the van etc etc, got back up to the office and could smell something was hot, turns out the torch never quite shut off and was like a little pilot light!
It was a rothenberger style one (long since replaced) and i have got in the habit of giving them a little pulse on the trigger to blow out any flame that might be there when you shut it off, wouldn't help on the leaking though so thats why i take them off the bottle.

chemi-cool
02-04-2012, 06:06 PM
if it leaks, don't bother with it, your life is more important.
Buy another brand, check with soap for leaks before you start using it.
I only use Uniweld propane, Harris torch. very safe.

Grizzly
02-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Hi Guys.
It would appear that when my Rothenburger surefire2 torch was attached to the new Yellow cylinder
there is a leak!
Because I have just leak tested the cylinder and safety valve are both gastight.
When I intend to use it again I will leak test it to confirm this.

Taz.
These cylinders were recalled worldwide in the end, we were issued with the recall notices in February If I remember correctly.
Rothenburger themselves recommended that once connected the cylinder remained so!
I can discount the button being depressed as my torch has an off setting which locks the button.
Which was the state it was in when I took it out stinking this morning.

Tesla.

I suspect that you are doing the correct thing by disconnecting, although it would be nice if anyone could identify the presume metric thread,so a decent cap could be sourced.

May I suggest you change your ciggies to the Kool Brand!

MS. You must have some good Karma? You have had some experiences over time, No fire watch then? And yes I to burn off the residue left in the torch, much like purging oxy acetylene lines.

Chemi. Thanks for the heads up, time to check out alternatives I think.

Only having to use the stuff because so many have banned Acetylene on their sites.
What most don't realise is that Mapp gas has acetylene in it.
I have yet to find a decent alternative for the larger diameter pipework.
One of the sites I go to is using something called Apache Gas?
Grizzly

install monkey
02-04-2012, 09:12 PM
bit of gas paste when ur using it, disconnect when not in use, maybe replace the neoprene o ring on the torch head!

MikeHolm
03-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Grizzly that's disturbing

I bought some mapp gas (for the first time available this year) two weeks ago and used it last Friday but haven't checked (if it's leaking) as it's in the back of the ute. Now I'm paranoid and will check it before I go to work tomorrow. I disconnect it from the regulator each time and put the flimsy cap on - it should be like a refrigerant cap that would stop any gas leaking even if the valve failed. And yes I smoke but hope the alarm dissabler will set it off first.

The real Tesla did not smoke after his 20s. Keep the tank on the torch, must safer that way especially with the valve shut. I've gone through literally 1000 of these without incident.

Tesla
03-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Grizzly I like the idea of capping these bottles and possibly we should cap all gas bottles - nitro, oxy & as we do already refrigerants.

MikeHolm I'm still working on stopping the smoking but a little like 20 years behind the real Tesla - I hit the magic mark of 40 years old on ANZAC Day this month.

taz24
03-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Only having to use the stuff because so many have banned Acetylene on their sites.
What most don't realise is that Mapp gas has acetylene in it.
I have yet to find a decent alternative for the larger diameter pipework.
One of the sites I go to is using something called Apache Gas?
Grizzly

Oxy - propane is an option and as far as I know most sites still accept propane.

All the best

taz

al
03-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Grizzly

i use a turbo torch set, the mapp gas cylinder has a different thread than the small cylinders, haven't had a problem since i started using it a few years ago. SRW have the kits and bottles.

al

MikeHolm
03-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Grizzly I like the idea of capping these bottles and possibly we should cap all gas bottles - nitro, oxy & as we do already refrigerants.

MikeHolm I'm still working on stopping the smoking but a little like 20 years behind the real Tesla - I hit the magic mark of 40 years old on ANZAC Day this month.

I await news of your progress, and happy bday....