PDA

View Full Version : Manitowoc Ice machine harvest time

Nitro187
28-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I have this really old '85 Manitowoc Ice machine that I have brought back from the absolute dead. (made a makeshift water cooled condenser... etc etc etc...) the harvest however, is not working properly. How exactly does it 'heat up' to encourage the ice to come out?

I haven't tried 'oiling' the evaporator tray yet... sounds like it might help, but the tray gets cool, but not warm or hot. I haven't really gone into crazy detail with this yet, as I didn't have time last night... figured I would bounce some ideas off you guys so that tonight I can give it a shot again.

How exactly does the evap coil heat up anyways?

Nitro187
28-03-2012, 02:08 PM
The more I think about it... the more I think I have to clean my evaporator tray..... what would be the best solution to clean this?

sedgy
28-03-2012, 04:00 PM
hi nitro, 1985? send it to the reclamation plant= sedgy

Nitro187
28-03-2012, 06:51 PM

Still works... so it's not getting thrown out. Any useful advice?

Nitro187
28-03-2012, 06:52 PM

Unit still works, why throw it out? Any useful advice?

sedgy
28-03-2012, 07:16 PM
hey nitro,
sorry it dont work , to clean evap bicobonate of soda with water it should pump the solution around without the comp, running and well swilled with clean water= sedgy.

rmihvacr
29-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Typically Manitiwoc uses hot gas to harvest its ice. Start with the hot gas valve (power to during harvest and refrigerant flow during harvest)....you mentioned make-shift water cooled condenser, was this machine air cooled? If so the fan typically cycles off prior to and during harvest to allow for heat to build. Need more specifics about unit (M#, voltage, etc..) to assist any further.

LynnCD
17-04-2012, 10:51 PM
What does the evaporator look like? Usually an older Manitowoc evaporator will start losing the nickel plating, at this point it's pretty much time to throw the entire machine away. Also, consider looking at the refrigeration lines in the back of the evaporator, typically they will separate over time, causing problems as you describe.

Whatever you use to clean the machine, make sure it's Nickel safe.

Royal241
26-04-2012, 12:42 AM
LOL, water cooled home made is the problem.