View Full Version : Ammonia licence

26-03-2012, 08:02 AM
I was just wondering what licences are required in different parts of the world to run an ammonia plant? Here in NZ all you legally require is an ammonia handlers certificate which can be obtained for as little as $180 after completing an open book test in your own time?! To get in that position you may need to do a apprenticeship in RAC first an then pursue an Industrial company to hire and train you. otherwise you need to be a plant engineer with a bit of nous. Recently you may be aware that a coroners report has been released over here that suggests that the industry needs to tighten its grip in regards to refrigeration safety. This was all a result of a explosion in 2008 at the Tamahere coolstore which resulted in the serious injury of 8 Fire fighters and the horrific death of another. The owner was given a disgraceful fine and the service company was hung for their efforts or should I more accurately put lack of arse cover. The system was converted to Hychill -50 in early 2000's to proactivly prepare for the disapearence of R22. Without appropriate leak detection and ventilation, This was always an accident waiting to happen.

-The factors to which contributed to this event

cheap *******s
Non experienced industrial installation
More cheap *******s
Not enough allowance in government budget to monitor this industry (more cheap scum *******s)
un experienced current inspectors
No legislation for compliance
No proper refrigeration licencing
Corrupt, non relevant training and certification
Arrogant kiwi "shel be right" attitude
Not enough fire service emergency response training

What has changed in 4 years..... nothing but an expensive report.

this will happen again without proper regulation and inspection.

Too often I see my colleagues as well as trades men and contractors from other industries put themselfs at risk to get the job done on time and so he can get home to his wife and kids friends etc, but for what really? All that is achieved is you put yourself at risk and some one else gets richer for it. Mainly your employer and of course the high rollin customer who you or your boss is desperately trying to appease. T
Your thoughts??

26-03-2012, 10:05 AM
To the best of my knowledge in Australia you need nothing.
But if employed by someone they have to believe you are competant.

I know of one cowboy who was oxy welding 6" pipe on one job.
I think it led to global warming.

Usually no one cares until something goes wrong,then you might be under the microscope.

26-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure that licensing really works. In the end you will get the same result a person or persons behind a desk not really knowing a thing about what it is that they are licensing and then because of their beuracratic b......t preventing persons who do know a thing or two from operating properly. Then you end up with the backyard operations that abound throughout the world.

I do notice that they are trying to to bring in a system of licensing for natural refrigerants in Australia now.

01-04-2012, 07:24 AM
I know of one cowboy who was oxy welding 6" pipe on one job.
I think it led to global warming.


01-04-2012, 07:25 AM
I obviously don't know how to the the fancy blue quote in reply.

01-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Here in the US of A there is actually no requirements for working with ammonia. My coworker started out painting pipes one day and because he was a hard worker, he has now been on the refr crew for 8 years. He's always on top of day to day stuff like maintaining oil levels and adjusting water and salt to make ice. I don't know how he does it but he makes the prettiest goddamn flake ice I've ever seen. But I'm not sure he fully understands refrigeration in general and if we needed to troubleshoot a compressor volume slide valve or some defrost relays, he would be lost. "Enter" apparently does not let me skip down to the next line... what I'm saying is everyone who does not work in refrigeration thinks you need an ammonia certification, but you don't. Your company should get you 24 hour HAZWOPER training asap after you're hired. And if they are not cheap *******s, they should fly you out to Garden City, Kansas for the 4 day Level 1 course. There's nothing you learn there that can't be found by cracking open a book. On the 4th day, you take a test which means nothing but you get to bring back a fancy piece of paper to your boss. BUT you do have the option for $390 to take the RETA CARO test. (Refrigerating Engineers and Technicians Association- Certified Assistant Refrigeration Operator). Which nobody requires but is not a useless piece of paper to have. Then you can go back for Level 2 and take the CIRO and I think there's a level 3 course as well. For "*****", though you can take an open book test and be certified to work on a unit with less than 5 pounds of refrigerant. More than that and you have to take a proctored test or you can get universal EPA license and work on anything. There's a different one for automobiles, too. Hope this was helpful because it feels like it took forever to type.