PDA

View Full Version : Are we running out??

Abe
18-11-2005, 05:32 PM
http://www.peakoil.net/

This is scary!!!

US Iceman
18-11-2005, 05:58 PM
I agree. I have been seeing signs that the oil production is beginning to decline also. The maximum output of the oil reserves I think will now begin to slow down.

Sometime in the next 50 years or so, energy will be more important than water or air.:eek:

More energy conservation should be done now, while there is some time.

neil sailes
18-11-2005, 06:08 PM
hi all.
you think by know that we shouldn't be so reliant on natural resources.

neil

Peter_1
18-11-2005, 06:16 PM
The next great war that shall be fight on thsis planet shall be for water.

botrous
18-11-2005, 09:09 PM
The next great war that shall be fight on thsis planet shall be for water.

this war have already started

botrous
18-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Renewable energies should be supported by goverments so by the time the oil is running off we have new sufficient energies to satisfy our needs . . .

chillyhamster
19-11-2005, 12:31 AM
There is cars now that can drive up to 80 miles per hour on batteries.I see this as alternative as well nobody
will let the business go down...........:D

But where is the "energy" coming from to charge the batteries !. All this B@ll@cks about zero emmision electric and hybrid cars is smoking mirrors. The only clean fuel is renewable or nuclear. Any fossil fuel power generation produces too much Co2. If only we could reduce emmissions at the power station then they would not have to break the refrigeration industry. Seen the latest on chemical production, Major french and german producers have got away with it again.

Abe
19-11-2005, 01:03 AM
The only viable alternative to cars is fuel cell technologies
Also cars running on gas, ( not fuel)

US Iceman
19-11-2005, 01:17 AM
I think one thing that would be very helpful is high temperature superconductors. In electrical distribution systems a lot of the power is lost through transmission as heat.

If the transmission system were able to use high temperature superconductors, the resulting energy losses would be less. Of course it takes power to run the refrigeration system for the superconductors, but hopefully the difference would still be beneficial.

One of the problems with energy conservation is that energy is still too cheap. When energy gets really expensive, more will be done then.

rbartlett
19-11-2005, 09:09 AM
as you know super conductors are restricted by their current operating temperature. the race is on to find/produce one which will operate above freezing. The closest is still way below that and hence of use in lab conditions.

Magnetic bearings and alike will help solve frictional losses but at a far higher energy cost.

Refrigeration and air conditioning are a major player in energy consumption and products like the cool chip

http://www.coolchips.gi/about.shtml

will greatly reduce energy consumption (and put a LOT of fridgies out of business!!)

However I remember sitting in class and being told "we have approximately 20-25 years of oil left in the world"

well,that time came and went a L>>O>>N>>G>> time ago but with China and India now coming on stream as major energy consumers some kind of cull -either from WWIII or a pandemic like bird flu is nigh on inevitable.........

cheers

richard

clownblade
19-11-2005, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=rbartlett]as you know super conductors are restricted by their current operating temperature. the race is on to find/produce one which will operate above freezing. The closest is still way below that and hence of use in lab conditions.

Yet again you know nothing of the subject to which you profess all knowledge. it was the great James Bond himself who rescued to solex aggitator from the clutches of the evil Mr scaramanger. this device was able to harness directly the power of the sun for the purposes of death rays and such like, but i suppose it could power anything. i think the government just hid this technology on his return (after he put the midget in the suitcase) to carry on charging 80% tax on petrol.

kindest regards as ever

Clownblade