PDA

View Full Version : are you rationing your marmite?

MikeHolm
20-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Mad and Magoo (and all other Kiwis)........are you able to stand the strain and ration your marmite. It is all over the news, you have a shortage. what will you ever do? It is being advised that you only have it only once a day on toast.:D

mad fridgie
21-03-2012, 12:02 AM
No problems in my house, if i ever wanted it, I could just follow one of the three dogs into the garden for a fresh supply.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goober
21-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Its getting tense here, the very fabric of NZ society is about to be torn assunder, people are arming themselves, tension in the streets etc......watching all very carefully

Magoo
21-03-2012, 04:03 AM
Last jar under lock and key, I have the only key.
MF thats why you talk funny, lack of Marmite. yeeeeha

mikeref
21-03-2012, 04:16 AM
Didn't see anything in the news this morning. There is always vegemite.. Oops, now had it's name changed to Australia :p

Magoo
21-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Hi Mikeref.
Vegemite by Mr Kraft is a close second, personally cannot diff the taste change, the kids can though.
The factory that makes the Marmite is in Christchurch, EQ central, and has been condemmed to be demo-d for structural faults. Being Sanatarium based company they will have to take the hat around at church for a few months so as to build a new plant somewhere else. Personally, who gives a rtz.

MikeHolm
21-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Do you think the shortage of marmite will cause earthquakes......stranger things have happened........fall of Rome, Austro-hungarian empire for example.....all over marmite.

MikeHolm
21-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi Mikeref.
Vegemite by Mr Kraft is a close second, personally cannot diff the taste change, the kids can though.
The factory that makes the Marmite is in Christchurch, EQ central, and has been condemmed to be demo-d for structural faults. Being Sanatarium based company they will have to take the hat around at church for a few months so as to build a new plant somewhere else. Personally, who gives a rtz.

Nothing Mr kraft touches turns out well i'm afraid.....

install monkey
21-03-2012, 07:24 PM
do not dispair our kiwi friends- i am sending out supplies of BOVRIL,its a direct replacement for your beefy spread, unfortunatly its non alcaholic so mike nelson may not like it,but it will save you banging ur head on the breakfast table staring aimlessly at your toast wondering if you should venture down the peanut butter route.
ps is $35 dollars a jar-minimum of 5 jars per purchase!:o

mad fridgie
21-03-2012, 08:49 PM
do not dispair our aussie friends- i am sending out supplies of BOVRIL,its a direct replacement for your beefy spread, unfortunatly its non alcaholic so mike nelson may not like it,but it will save you banging ur head on the breakfast table staring aimlessly at your toast wondering if you should venture down the peanut butter route.ps is $35 dollars a jar-minimum of 5 jars per purchase!:oWrong country there IM, Kiwis are from New Zealand, close to Australia, A bit further round and a bit lower.

install monkey
21-03-2012, 08:52 PM
edited prev post!

Wrong country there IM, Kiwis are from New Zealand, close to Australia, A bit further round and a bit lower.

chemi-cool
21-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Some people on the globe have funny problems,
From experience, it kills the ants before they can get into the house......

Magoo
22-03-2012, 12:18 AM
53000 kiwis emigrated across the ditch to Oz last month, panic has set in already.

mad fridgie
22-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Have a look at this, "crazy"
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=marmite&type=Search&generalSearch_keypresses=5&generalSearch_suggested=7

MikeHolm
22-03-2012, 10:36 AM
I feared as much, starts with increased prices, then...panic set in. I'll bet the B&E rate has gone up as poorer Kiwis can't get their fix. The wealthy ones can escape before the riots start, hence tyhe 53000 off to Oz. Canada will start sending relief ships soon.

mikeref
22-03-2012, 12:31 PM
No drama farmer! The Kiwis just have to adapt to broad brimmed hats with champaign corks that are tied to bits of string that dangles around the external surrounds of that hat to confuse the cattle fly... and chew on a bit of dried twig from a nearby coolabah tree.Couldn't tell the difference really...until they asked for "Fesh n cheps" for dinner.:pOoh! Sorry guys... Guess the summer heat has got the better of my diplomacy.:Dhttp://www.123rf.com/photo_221071_boy-with-cork-hat.html

glenn1340
22-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Marmite, the best place for it is on the other side of the world....even that isn`t far enough though. I hate the stuff

MikeHolm
22-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Marmite, the best place for it is on the other side of the world....even that isn`t far enough though. I hate the stuff

Good for you it is being rationed......less chance of coming in contact. Hope that took a load off

Magoo
23-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Hi Chemi,
thanks for the heads up, does explain the lumps in the jar, chrispy with a crunch.

Hi Mikeref,
Frydee nytz are feesh and cheepz at out place, cobba. And with some luck a snarler on the barby and afew coldies in the esky. If the old sheela is flush some indian as well. This week speared some of that trendy humus stuff, a semi-truck load, yummy, but talk f a r T for gas, cleared the house a couple of times
Do you want to translate for the rest of the world.

mikeref
23-03-2012, 03:41 AM
I guess they will get the general idea eventually :D I'm having Indonesian fri-lice tonight as it is walking distance to the newly opened take-away. (no green-ants or grasshoppers mixed in i hope)

MikeHolm
27-03-2012, 11:35 AM
ALERT ALERT......NZ Marmite shortage makes top story in Canada. (bit late tho). Some people are talking about setting up quick scale manufacturing due to possibility of $100/jar sale cost. Someone down there has to donate a jar for reverse engineering........waiting for willing participant......

chemi-cool
27-03-2012, 08:16 PM
You can always get some on ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=marmite&_sacat=See-All-Categories

SeanB
31-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Bovril factory is just down the road from me - NCP Yeasts. They can make Marmite if they have the recipe, no problems. The ICC complained about the smell, but were told where to shove it, as the yeast plant has been there for decades, while the ICC was built on an old prison and dump site.