PDA

View Full Version : Copeland semi compressor... rebuilt or not?

Frigoriste
15-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Hello,

I heard that when we buy a replacement semi-hermetic compressor from Copeland, they almost always sell you a rebuilt.

A sealer told me that the only way to know if you really have a new one would be to look at the last three digits of the part number of the compressor (service number)... but he didn't know which number means that its new or not?!

Anyone knows how to detect if the compressor is new or rebuilt?

The Viking
15-03-2012, 07:10 PM
New or rebuilt???
As I understand it, it is recycled bodies...
As in the cast iron body might have come from an old compressor but everything else is new.
And as Copeland as the manufacturer is willing to put their name on it I personally got no problems with that..

monkey spanners
15-03-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't know about Canada but here we used to be able to get geniune rebuilds that were as good as a new compressor but cheaper! Then they stopped doing them because they couldn't compete with other rebuilders who don't replace everything.

So if it was a genuine rebuild i wouldn't be too bothered except i wouldn't want to pay new prices, but i doubt its true. Why not phone and ask them, get them to explain what the numbers mean on the data plate.

Brian_UK
15-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Borrowed from another well known forum and from 2010

"The Bill of Material (BOM) number -800 refers to a remanufactured compressor by Copeland. The -200 refers to a brand new compressor that's never been remanufactured.

You can order an -200 but be prepared to pay 25% to 35% more in price and wait a spell.

The BOM on a Copeland welded compressor also tells a story. If the BOM is -9** it is a wholesaler model. If it's a -1** or -2** it's an OEM compressor. Of course they're all brand new."