PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of an uncapped dessicant drier.

eberg
21-08-2001, 07:51 PM
I would like to know the shelf life, if any, of an uncapped (unsealed) automotive a/c filter/drier unit.

My assistant picked up a new filter/drier unit from a local Dodge dealer. While my assistant was at the cashiers window the parts person opened the box and removed the factory installed temporary port plugs. The parts person did not reinstall the port plugs.

I did not see the drier unit until 7 hours later at which time I reinstalled the plastic port plugs. The relative humidity was 90-100% all day.

I learned today that the parts person removed the plugs to install the gaskets as he normally does for the on-site car mechanics.

I am relatively new to servicing A/C (auto only) but everything I have read indicates that a dessicant drier cannot effectively be regenerated by evacuation methods. I have always made sure that the last task performed (just prior to evacuation) during a/c service is to remove the drier port plugs and make the last 2 hose connections to minimize the amount of exposure time to atmospheric moisture.

It irks me a bit to find out the pains I go through to minimize the system exposure to atmospheric air just to find out the dealer often leaves their driers open to atmosphere for minutes to hours.

Am I being too concerned? I just want ot be sure that there will be enough drying capacity left in the drier to handle the inevitable moisture that will be in the system when it is closed. I don't want to find out 2 years down the road that I have slowly corroded my system internals.

Thank you in advance.

Brian_UK
21-08-2001, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by eberg
I have always made sure that the last task performed (just prior to evacuation) during a/c service is to remove the drier port plugs and make the last 2 hose connections to minimize the amount of exposure time to atmospheric moisture.
Welcome eberg, your proposed installation method of the filter/drier is spot on :)

I don't know the exact time that a filter takes to absorb moisture but the actions taken by your parts-man are effectively killing the drier.

ALL manufacturers of moisture absorbing products such as oil and driers insist that they are the last thing opened and fitted. The new POE oils especially will suck up moisture like it's going out of business.

Tell you parts supplier that any seals broken on any boxes or products will be counter charged with interest and I would suggest that you tell his supervisor also.

eberg
22-08-2001, 01:22 PM
Thank you Brian_UK. The confirmation of my method and my contamination concern is welcome. I will pass this information along to the Dodge parts person when I pick up the replacement drier. :)