PDA

View Full Version : kindle as pdf reader.

bill1983
11-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Is there anyone out there who is using or has used a kindle as a pdf reader.
I'm looking for a cheap way of getting rid of the 3 boxes full of wiring diagrams and tech manuals from my van. I like the idea of the kindle because of the "ink" it uses to display pages.
I have used an ipaq in the past which is great for fault codes and parts lists and small spreadsheet applications and also have about 30 gig of documents etc on my laptop. The ipaq's screen is too small and the laptop too bulky.
I did consider a netbook until i saw the kindle. i know the memory is small but it will take micro sd cards so capacity isn't an issue and i don't need 30 gig of capacity anyway. The price is ok too at under 130 quid. It'll fit in my inside or pants leg pocket I think. and it'll rotate the screen from portrait to landscape. I can either buy or make a stand, hanging loop, magnetic holder for attaching to control panels. I think it ticks all the boxes.
So back to the questions; does anyone use one and has it got any limitations for practical use that would rule it out for wiring diagrams etc? whats the method for getting pdfs onto it? Do you have to go through the library app to get anything onto it?

frank
11-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Lots of information on the net including this..http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/how-to-do-almost-everything-with-a-kindle-3/

Brian_UK
12-03-2012, 12:31 AM
I use a Kindle for carrying some pdf's about.

Getting them onto the Kindle is easy, either email it to your Kindle account or drag it across to the Kindle if plugged into the USB.

Drawbacks:- Well the display is small, as you are aware, and although you can increase (zoom) the documents it can get a it confusing deciding which button to press to 'see' the other bits of the page.

I would suggest that you try and borrow one or download a pdf of yours onto to a shop one to see the possible limitations.

Personally I'm pleased but it ain't ideal. ;)

Ian_Eb
12-03-2012, 10:30 AM
I have used some free software called Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/

It converts from PDF to a whole load of different formats. I found that a converted one worked better with regards to panning and zooming.