PDA

View Full Version : F. Gas and boats?

Grizzly
09-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Hi Guys.
we EU. Fridgies operate around F gas, where we know Non stationary Equipment
is under a set of differing rules.
So cars and trucks are nowhere near as regulated with regard to their A/C and the refrigerant therein!

I was just wondering would a say large ice plant on a fishing trawler on 404a be stationary or non-stationary?
You could hardly apply say a periodic leak check of its system. etc.

Boats are another that has "slipped the Net" I think?
Grizzly

al
09-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Does the fact most operate in international waters exclude them until they dock? Not sure if F-Gas is a part of the marine engineers course yet?

Al

Brian_UK
10-03-2012, 12:00 AM
An early report seems to indicate that no new EU vessels built recently, 2001 onwards, contain R22. The ones that were had been registered aboard, so that's all right then. ;)

Couldn't find easily anything about F Gas requirements so probably being ignored for the time being.

http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/f-gas/docs/2_maritime_rail_aircraft_en.pdf

Mind you, is it only stationery when it is docked?

al
10-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Technically it will only be stationery in dry dock:)

al

Magoo
10-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Hi Grizzly.
a good post, the system will pick up on the risk for sure, time will tell. I have seen some real potential disasters on some trawlers and process mother ships/ factory ships. There probable saving grace is the huge ventilation extract systems on board. Most sea going service is by ships engineers/ multi task engineers. The company moto is keep it going at all costs until cargo is discharged at the dock and then get shore based techs to fix it

RSTC
12-03-2012, 11:37 AM
The requirement if for the engineer to be F-Gas qualified. At this time there is no requirement for the shipping company to be registered

See extract from email from EPA in Ireland (though it references the EU)
"
We spoke a few weeks ago about the need or otherwise for f-gas qualification for mobile systems where they are on board trawlers, for example. I contacted the European Commission and I have included a copy of the Commission’s answer below:

The core measures of Regulation (EC) No 842/2006 (F-Gas Regulation), including those laid down in Article 3, concern stationary equipment. However, Article 4(3) would apply to fluorinated greenhouse gas containing equipment installed in transport modes , unless serving military operations. On the basis of this provision, the gases shall, to the extent that it is technically feasible and does not entail disproportionate cost, be recovered by appropriately qualified personnel to ensure their recycling, reclamation or destruction. For recovery from refrigeration and ac in transportation modes there are currently no requirements, at EU level, for such personnel (neither for companies) with the exception of personnel recovering F-Gases from air conditioning in passenger cars (see Commission Regulation 307/2008).

In other words, the leak checking requirements required under Art 3 relating to containment do not apply to non-stationary systems but the general provisions regarding qualifications etc apply to all systems, including mobile systems, in accordance with Art 4 relating to recovery.
"

Hope that helps

Grizzly
12-03-2012, 06:48 PM
RSTC. Rep added to.
Thanks for the enlightenment.
Grizzly

Quality
12-03-2012, 09:08 PM
There is possibly a new cat 5 comin soon to cover domestic hydrocarbon units , it's a pity the clowns that decided the requirement for regulation did not have a clue how large the transport industry is !

Grizzly
12-03-2012, 09:58 PM
There is possibly a new cat 5 comin soon to cover domestic hydrocarbon units , it's a pity the clowns that decided the requirement for regulation did not have a clue how large the transport industry is !

I say! a bit harsh there old bean!
Am I missing something there Q?
Surely the domestic side of fridge would be a nightmare to oversee?
Or is this yet more monies for old rope?
It would be nice to be kept posted though.
Grizzly

RSTC
13-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Cheers Grizzly