PDA

View Full Version : Refrigeration Engineers

balerjoe
14-11-2005, 08:18 PM
I almost have my AA in HVAC. I have been thinking about going for a engineering degree. My question is are most guys who refrigeration engineers Mechanical engineers. OR have they recieved Bachelars in science in a degree in Refrigeration Engeering technologys? There a good school in America that specializes in this.
Tell me what you think.
Thanks
Joe

Abe
14-11-2005, 10:08 PM
I almost have my AA in HVAC. I have been thinking about going for a engineering degree. My question is are most guys who refrigeration engineers Mechanical engineers. OR have they recieved Bachelars in science in a degree in Refrigeration Engeering technologys? There a good school in America that specializes in this.
Tell me what you think.
Thanks
Joe

Depends

What do you want to do??
Or as Bill says........

Where do you want to go today??

Look up that blue yonder

It is endless........

A lot of guys here dont need a certificate.

They got more then that.

Hands down, hands on, grease matted, eye on ball, practical understanding and experience

Which University can ever teach you that??

balerjoe
14-11-2005, 11:06 PM
I work in a milk plant. Ammonia refrigeration is something we are considering for future plants. Along w/positive air in the facility via airhandlers.

balerjoe
14-11-2005, 11:07 PM
What are most guys here just Mechanical Engineers'?
Ferris State University in Michigan USA. Has a nice Refrigeration Engineering Program.

Brian_UK
14-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Are you from Michigan BalerJoe ? Your questions regarding standards need to be in relation to the part of the world that you come from.

Michigan courses aren't much use to us here in the UK.

US Iceman
14-11-2005, 11:43 PM
You may also want to check out the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana. They have from what I see a good mechanical engineering program with an emphasis on refrigeration.

Ammonia is used in most of the milk and cheese plants I've been in, but don't expect too much training in the use of ammonia systems. I think you will get a very good engineering degree, but I'm not sure how much they develop/teach in system design or operation.

The university of Wisconsin at Madison has some separate course on ammonia refrigeration that are very in depth, but not part of the regular curriculum.

balerjoe
19-11-2005, 04:33 AM
I'm not from Michigan. Whats a better degree mechanical engineering or mechanical engineering technology.

TXiceman
23-11-2005, 07:53 PM
There a lot of good engineering schools, but very few that offer much in refrigeration, especially industrial or ammonia. With a BSME you will have more math nad theoritical courses and an easier time getting you professional engineer registration.

Trade schools offer commerical refrigeration courses, but no where near a BSME or MET degree. Mechanical will give you a much broader education that will be helpful in learning industrial refrigeration.

I got my degree in mechanical engineering (BSME) and took my elective courses in applied heat transfer and thermodynamics. Once out of schol, you need to seek employment in the industrial refrigeration field. One of the compressor manufacturers that has the larger ammonia machines, an ammonia contractor or an engineering firm that does ammonia design. Your plant and service background will be a great asset.

An engineering degree will take you at least 4 years to complete with full time study.

God luck.
Ken