PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooling Refrigerator Compressors

Kompulsa
23-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Hello.

I can't find how to oil cool my two 1/4 HP R 134a refrigerator compressors in the books I have. Each of them has two tubes at the bottom on the side. When I turn them on, nothing comes out of them. I guess I am to use an external pump to pump oil into one of the tubes, and then it will come out through the other and I should just keep circulating it through a radiator?

The oil tubes appear to be totally separate from the refrigerant lines.

mikeref
23-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Discharge goes out to a split condenser, so about the first 25% of condenser, then back through the oil cooler/heater and back to the condenser again.

mbc
24-02-2012, 07:05 AM
condenser has 2 part .
first part = discharge gas goes there and after cooling down , goes to bottom pipes ( those not important which one) and then goes for 2nd part to cool and become Refrigeration liquid .
it should connected to cool the oil especial in hot area .

Kompulsa
24-02-2012, 01:03 PM
So the pressure differences of the refrigerant loop cause it to move somehow?

This is a DIY project, so I guess I will use an oil pump and do what I said then. I guess the oil in that part is separate from the oil in the compressor sump?

It just cools the motor, right?

Brian_UK
24-02-2012, 05:45 PM
There is no oil in those 'oil' pipes.

They are simply a loop of pipe within the oil sump of the compressor.

Kompulsa
24-02-2012, 08:30 PM
There is no oil in those 'oil' pipes.

They are simply a loop of pipe within the oil sump of the compressor.

Now that was helpful. :) So it is normally refrigerant that circulates through it then?

Brian_UK
24-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Now that was helpful. :) So it is normally refrigerant that circulates through it then?That's correct.

Short Tecumshe document,,,,
http://www.hvactroubleshootingguides.com/hvac-compressor-connections-and-tubes.html

monkey spanners
24-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Gas comes out the dicharge pipe, then though some of the condenser (or could be piped around the door frame in a freezer to stop door sticking instead) then goes back to the compressor and through the loop and then off to the rest of the condenser.

You don't need to used them for the compressor to work, but they may be needed in certain applications.

mikeref
24-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Now that was helpful. :) So it is normally refrigerant that circulates through it then? There is only high pressure vapour that runs through oil circuit. No oil pump and no direct contact with compressor oil.

r.bartlett
25-02-2012, 10:03 AM
There is only high pressure vapour that runs through oil circuit. No oil pump and no direct contact with compressor oil.

how does that cool the oil?

Kompulsa
25-02-2012, 01:32 PM
I think he was talking about cold refrigerant vapour from the evaporator. That often under high pressure as well.

monkey spanners
25-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Pic half way down link shows oil cooling loop,

http://www.danfoss.com/NR/rdonlyres/BD5F5AE7-EAAB-447E-9404-F4D88029C663/0/FittersNotesCompressorUK.pdf

mikeref
25-02-2012, 10:59 PM
how does that cool the oil? Oil cooling circuit is just a tube that runs through the bottom of compressor, in the oil. Discharge does a circuit but comes back still warm and if the compressor oil is hotter than the gas running through, then the oil gives up heat. Works in reverse as well so oil is heated if compressor is not warm enough.

mikeref
25-02-2012, 11:12 PM
I think he was talking about cold refrigerant vapour from the evaporator. That often under high pressure as well. Absolutely nothing to do with the evaporator or low side pressure. It is about maintaining reasonable oil temperature of the compressor.:) Some compressors have oil cooler circuits and others don't. Just don't run discharge pipe straight to oil cooler as compressor won't like it.

knighty
26-02-2012, 07:12 PM
do you really need oil cooling on small compressors like that ?

fan blowing over compressor not enough ?

if that's not enough, thermal epoxy a few heat sinks to the outside case ?

Kompulsa
27-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Oil cooling circuit is just a tube that runs through the bottom of compressor, in the oil. Discharge does a circuit but comes back still warm and if the compressor oil is hotter than the gas running through, then the oil gives up heat. Works in reverse as well so oil is heated if compressor is not warm enough.

Thank you. :)

r.bartlett
27-02-2012, 09:46 PM
do you really need oil cooling on small compressors like that ?

fan blowing over compressor not enough ?

if that's not enough, thermal epoxy a few heat sinks to the outside case ?

Usually just for freezer compressors

r.bartlett
27-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Oil cooling circuit is just a tube that runs through the bottom of compressor, in the oil. Discharge does a circuit but comes back still warm and if the compressor oil is hotter than the gas running through, then the oil gives up heat. Works in reverse as well so oil is heated if compressor is not warm enough.

I have only seen them using the liq line not on a split condenser..