PDA

View Full Version : Supra 950 mt oil leak

mattym
23-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Hi all i am looking for a oil leak on a supra 950mt but the only place i can find is on the filters themselves is there any where else i can check i ensured the injector pump cover is on and secire but i have noticed a lot of oil on the back of the engine where the belts sit is this a common fault with all 04 plate vehicles any help is appreciated:)

123smc
24-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Rear crankshaft oil seal is quite common, sometimes on older units it's necessary to have the engine overhauled as the facings where the seal fits becomes worn. Hope this helps

djbe
24-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Best idea is to wash the engine off then observe over a few days operation.

If it is the rear crank seal you may be able to get a sleeve for the crank that repairs the groove worn by the seal lip which will then remove the need for a strip down. You can get them for the TK engines but not so sure about Carrier?

Regards,
djbe.

charlie patt
25-02-2012, 11:35 PM
check the end float on the crank this will cause rear oil seal to bypass like above says steam it off and check it on a 04 you have 8 years of poss leaks also check the fault who has been filling it up with oil and have they used a funnel who remembers the first smx unit that would shake themseleves to bits and piss oil everywhere i worked on one of the first that dumped its oil over a drivers 2 week old globetrotter he was not very happy thats when i was militant tk and they never done anything wrong it was always everbody elses fault

mattym
26-02-2012, 09:31 AM
thanks charlie i could only find the filter heads perished and the banjos slack its a dog of unit one of my colleagues was called back to it, for still leaking oil, i will have to clen it off and check the gasket

IRMechanik
28-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Check your dipstick. The seal at the bottom of the dipstick are very prone to leak or not seated back in place fully (but that requires the driver to actually check the oil)

The rear main, as has been said wash it and monitor. They do leak from time to time but not that often (not like a TK)

The oil lines that feed the remote oil filter are very bad for leaking. They tend to leak where the line is crimped onto the fitting. They don't stand up well to rubbing or chaffing either. The 9xx/R90 were worse because there was less real estate between the frame and the door. Since they are under pressure they tend to drool a little bit of oil or blow off and completely empty the oil pan. If the fittings are coming loose in the crimp recommend they be changed. Neither you or the owner want to clean up 10L of oil from the cab and windshield. If you can catch them before this happens, it's good pm.