PDA

View Full Version : cold store evaporator

cadwaladr
22-02-2012, 10:45 PM
got a leak on a very large cold store evap,the only easy access is on the outside of the store was thinking of leak dye direct into evap because getting inside the store is difficult with traffic and if i put the dye in like i said the limited access that i will get to locate it could make detection quicker putting it in the oil would take too long to reach evap so can anyone forsee any reasons why not to do it direct?.

mikeref
22-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Thinking the dye would need to mix with the oil first so as to be able to cover entire evap inner surface for maximum efficiency.

Magoo
23-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Never been a fan of leak dyes, generally most evap leaks are at the tube sheet ends, when they expand the tubes to fins, and get major damage at tube sheet, can take several years to become a leak, but expansion and contraction leaks do happen, short answer is pressurize the coil and check with Big Blue or similar product and bypass that circuit. The down side is if one or two are now leaking then others will follow.
Had a situation with a brand new aircooled condenser, cheap re-cycled copper tube with lineal cracks in the tubes in core of coil. Warranty claim was horrendous.