PDA

View Full Version : Reverse cycle units and burnouts.

piewie
22-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Common refrigeration wisdom tells us that after a burn out on a hermetic or semi hermetic machine we should fit a burnout type drier. Available from my local Heatcraft shop are Burnout Driers, Liquid driers and Bi directional driers.
So what do you do if the machine with the burnout compressor is a reverse cycle unit?
And there is definitely no room for fitting the drier in the suction line between the reversing valve and the compressor. Unless of course I re pipe the unit so the reversing valve is on the outside of the unit.
I am very interested in hearing from anyone that has anything to add.

AlexG
22-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Try ACID-AWAY additive or similar neutralizer.

The Viking
22-02-2012, 06:00 PM
We frequently repipe units to accommodate burnout driers in the true suction lines, just before the compressors.

And remember to add 2 ball valves so the drier can be changed and removed without reclaiming the whole system.

:cool:

stefs_cruiser
24-02-2012, 07:49 AM
In Australia, on domestic splits, its quite common to fit a 3/8 bi flow liquid dryer into the 1/4 pipe with 1/4 nuts.
It remains in there for the remainder of its life....

I understand it is not ideal, but its a workable compromise...

piewie
25-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the response. Obviously great minds think alike stefs_cruiser as this I felt was the only workable solution. I will also endeavour to request that it is changed at the first maintenance visit.