PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic - Any good?

Greengrocer
20-02-2012, 02:01 AM
Hi Guys.
I'm thinking about buying a Panasonic side by side fridge freezer as these are reputed to be the most efficient available at the moment.
I know all about Panasonic A/C kit but not much about their recent entry into the domestic fridge freezer market. Have any techs out there had any experience with these inverter side by side fridge freezers -good or bad or ugly?
In particular models NR-B53V1 or NR-B54X1 with water & Ice.

Thanks

Magoo
20-02-2012, 02:53 AM
I have a general rule of buying locally manufactured or assembled appliances, at least I know someone local has a job to go to each day, who spend money locally and pay taxes locally.
But then again I am old school

mikeref
20-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Don't know about "Panasonic" fridges but i see the words "side by side" and "ice and water". The more bells and whistles fridges have, the more trouble they can potentially give.:rolleyes:
Inverter?? Hope that's not the real deal as in variable speed compressor, on a fridge? Wouldn't last 12 months on this island's power grid, with all the seasonal storms and fluctuations that occur.

Greengrocer
20-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Don't know about "Panasonic" fridges but i see the words "side by side" and "ice and water". The more bells and whistles fridges have, the more trouble they can potentially give.:rolleyes:
Inverter?? Hope that's not the real deal as in variable speed compressor, on a fridge? Wouldn't last 12 months on this island's power grid, with all the seasonal storms and fluctuations that occur.

Exactly why I am asking this question. Yes it has a "real deal" inverter which I agree is something else to go wrong. By the sound of it our power grid is considerably more stable than yours so I'm not unduely concerned about that. But hey, time & technology moves on. If not then we would all still be driving model T's.

I must admit the fridge freezer this Panasonic would replace is a 28 year old manual defrost twin compressor Scandinova. Simple tech, handles all broken, door shelves hanging off & specific spares not available - but it still works fine,. It's just not large enough for our current needs anymore & I have no space for a separate fridge & freezer which would have been my preference.

Magoo. The UK does not make any domestic appliances anymore (not much else either) so we don't have much choice where the kit comes from since 99% of it is imported.

mikeref
20-02-2012, 10:41 PM
The average running time for a fridge these days is 4-5 years before they break down, and spending more money on a top of the line model does not buy immunity. Seems there is every type available, from car manufacturers to the imported ones with regular, locally known brand names stuck on them. (Except Fisher and Paykel, New Zealand.) Good luck with your purchase on which-ever brand you choose to go with..Mike.

install monkey
20-02-2012, 10:48 PM
i nearly got 1 of them panasonic inverter fridges-with the led lighting and some gadget to keep ur salad crispy- but the boss wouldnt let me have 1- i told her she could keep some salad next to me beers and i even offered to buy her a cake too-but to no avail-buy it from argos and get the 5yr warranty to be on the safe side-as currys were knocking em out at £1200!!!-samsungs are gaurenteed to freeze up-by the way i had to get a deawoo- its been ok,keeps me pizza's frozen and beers chilly!

Amy63
21-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Wow, this info is definitely good to know. I didn't realize that.

MikeHolm
21-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Wow, this info is definitely good to know. I didn't realize that.

Sorry Amy, most of what they talk about isn't available over here. Defo not the propane units, IIRC.

MikeHolm
21-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Exactly why I am asking this question. Yes it has a "real deal" inverter which I agree is something else to go wrong. By the sound of it our power grid is considerably more stable than yours so I'm not unduely concerned about that. But hey, time & technology moves on. If not then we would all still be driving model T's.

I must admit the fridge freezer this Panasonic would replace is a 28 year old manual defrost twin compressor Scandinova. Simple tech, handles all broken, door shelves hanging off & specific spares not available - but it still works fine,. It's just not large enough for our current needs anymore & I have no space for a separate fridge & freezer which would have been my preference.

Magoo. The UK does not make any domestic appliances anymore (not much else either) so we don't have much choice where the kit comes from since 99% of it is imported.

GG, why not just get the fridge refitted, if the basics are good. I'm sure there would be an interior designer who would take it on.;)

spimps
22-02-2012, 09:43 PM
ICETECH in Scotland still make chest freezers (norfrost) so the species isnt entirely extinct in the UK.
Always encourage folks to go for seperates,fridge and freezer independant,when things go wrong as they likely will all the eggs arent in the one basket! so to speak.
Would certainly get some circuit protection before the fridge if it's got a pcb with inverter installed,would be pricey to replace boards etc if the mains is spikey!
Whatever happened to the double door fridge swith the tv screen embedded in the door which were marketed a few years ago ?

mikeref
22-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Don't worry spimps. There is an unpleasant odour in the air about domestic fridges comming out with internet connection and touch screen. one cucumber and carrot used, go to screen and add that to your new shopping list. Before you head off to the store, send your list onwards first. Might be a smart marketing angle, but i'd go for the next generation where you send the fridge off to do the shopping for you ;)

Magoo
23-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Hi Mike Ref.
what ever you have been smoking or drinking today. Change brands [ joke ].
I have lots of bad experiences with large double door combos, floods, melt downs, ice spewing everywhere. If you want a refridge buy one, if you want a freezer buy one, they have side by side options, if you want ice cubes on demand fill ice trays. Or buy a bag at the supermarket.
Apart from the fact that double door monolyths weigh a tonne and a arz to install and repair.
Had a call years ago that a d/d had a lean on it, interseting I thought. Checked it out and found out they had a water leak problem way back feeding the ice maker, chip based flooring circumed and hence broken up and weight of refrig combo started heading towards the basement, bugger.

MikeHolm
23-02-2012, 12:57 PM
HAHA, I hate chipboard and now I have another story to tell people