PDA

View Full Version : Replacing condenser after comp failure

Kirky
17-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Hi all just a quick question I've been told to replace a condenser with a seized comp with a full new condenser. My question is if the previous unit had a seized comp and I'm putting a new condenser on the same pipes then do I need to install a drier to filter out any impurities when I install new condenser

Brian_UK
17-02-2012, 11:33 PM
I would say yes.

Kirky
18-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Cheers Brian

I thought so but nobody has mentioned it in the job brief or given me time to return and remove the filter drier at a later date once it's done it's job. I better mention it

chemi-cool
18-02-2012, 09:14 AM
You don't need to replace the condenser. Its the compressor you have a problem with.
A drier is to be changed every time you open the system.

pepsiqazi
18-02-2012, 09:17 AM
you dont need to replase filter

stufus
18-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Yes you do !! As Chemi and Brian have both pointed out.
Cheers
Stu

you dont need to replase filter

Kirky
18-02-2012, 02:26 PM
It a long and drawn out story but in this server room we have 2 x systems I noticed on a maintenance visit sometime ago the first unit had a leak on the condenser coil. Because they still had one unit operating they didn't give me go ahead to carry out repair. Anyway a week ago second system went down with seized comp priced to replace but lead time on spares 3 weeks. So they gave go ahead to repair system with leak found that coil had had it so priced to replace coil. Again 3 week delivery. 3 day delivery for new outdoor so they have gone for that option. So changing condenser with bad comp for new condenser. But no mention of installing drier. Just been told to recover gas split flares and replace for new

chemi-cool
18-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Are we dealing with an split ac unit?

Kirky
18-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Yes mate a split system. A LG P08AH if memory serves double fan double comp

chemi-cool
18-02-2012, 07:03 PM
In that case, you might as well replace the outdoor unit, less work and time.

Kirky
18-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Yes mate that's the plan putting new outdoor in but using same indoor and pipes just haven't been asked to put a suction filter drier in case there is any **** in the pipes from previous comp failure or will it be ok with us changing out the whole outdoor. As a rule would always filter system after comp failure but don't usually swap out whole outdoor without swapping indoor and pipes

comet289
18-02-2012, 08:01 PM
i am new to this site and have enjoyed reading the discussions. that being said, i was surprised to see how this question could have these different answers. you always, always change the filter drier every single time you open a system.

monkey spanners
18-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Yes mate that's the plan putting new outdoor in but using same indoor and pipes just haven't been asked to put a suction filter drier in case there is any **** in the pipes from previous comp failure or will it be ok with us changing out the whole outdoor. As a rule would always filter system after comp failure but don't usually swap out whole outdoor without swapping indoor and pipes

Have done similar with a dead mitsi unit, would advise blowing through the pipes with some ofn, one we did chuffed all its oil out into the evap and pipe run and kept going out on a vacuum till blown through... Think i'd do an acid test to see if it needs a drier, job to tell as if it did have one it should be taken out again after a while but your customer seems a bit tight, have to work out which is worse, no drier or leaving one in too long.

Jon :)

monkey spanners
18-02-2012, 08:13 PM
i am new to this site and have enjoyed reading the discussions. that being said, i was surprised to see how this question could have these different answers. you always, always change the filter drier every single time you open a system.

Hi Comet, welcome to RE!

Its a mini split style system which generally don't have a drier fitted in the line set, as its either an expansion line or a suction that will become a hot gas line in heating mode, there is usually a small filter in the outdoor unit, these systems really rely on good install practices for a long life, though they don't always get it...

Jon :)

Kirky
19-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Yeah I'll put it to the customer see what they are willing to pay for we can only advise

nike123
19-02-2012, 10:04 AM
You simply dont have any filter to change on single split AC system. They are mostly without any drier.

still learning
19-02-2012, 06:15 PM
any compressor failure warants a acid test , had a similar situation last week the compressor was down to earth.
and the oil was a black as the road .
when fitting the new outdoor unit to the ( iwill call it diry pipework) old indoor and pipework, added a can of acid away .
have done this a couple of times now and all is ok.
we are in the process of ordering in some driers to use as a matter of cource in this situation.
comms rooms with splits are flogged to death imho.
we fit driers when moisture is suspected also.
with splits i usualy find the suction line can be frozen back to the service port , the flare nut is a block of ice even when lagged the unit stops , nut defrosts , water tracks down the threads, freezes and so on , till the flare leaks and it get worse .
i belive that the outdoor runs at a very low presure , something to do with empalthy and the low humidity of the room .
i am not the best guy to explain this , i only fit the new units , when the others expire. .

r.bartlett
19-02-2012, 07:00 PM
any compressor failure warants a acid test , had a similar situation last week the compressor was down to earth.
and the oil was a black as the road .
when fitting the new outdoor unit to the ( iwill call it diry pipework) old indoor and pipework, added a can of acid away .
have done this a couple of times now and all is ok.
we are in the process of ordering in some driers to use as a matter of cource in this situation.
comms rooms with splits are flogged to death imho.
we fit driers when moisture is suspected also.
with splits i usualy find the suction line can be frozen back to the service port , the flare nut is a block of ice even when lagged the unit stops , nut defrosts , water tracks down the threads, freezes and so on , till the flare leaks and it get worse .
i belive that the outdoor runs at a very low presure , something to do with empalthy and the low humidity of the room .
i am not the best guy to explain this , i only fit the new units , when the others expire. .

Why not just flush the pipe work. Far better solution to remove what's in there rather than trying to mask it by adding chemicals...

nevgee
19-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Always flush and don't forget to put the seat down after you've finished. :D

monkey spanners
19-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Think acid away needs a drier to work as once its collected to acid it in turn is caught by the drier, not sure what would happen if there isn't one as in jap style ac.

Kirky
20-02-2012, 06:52 AM
So what's the best approach should I blow it through with OFN or what's the best flushing agent to use. I will defo do a acid test and depending on the results will advise the customer accordingly

nike123
20-02-2012, 08:11 AM
In my opinion, best option is to change outdoor and indoor unit and pipes. Second best option is to install burnout filter and remove it after its job is done.

Kirky
20-02-2012, 10:43 AM
That's what I would do. 9 out 10 cases if I'm replacing the outdoor on a split I replace full system but this job isn't one of our sites we sub contractors so just do as we are told.

nike123
20-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Than, just do as you told!;)

still learning
20-02-2012, 05:06 PM
we had some stuff called "endo flush" and a pump to pump it round ( cost a fortune ) the pump stopped pumping and ended up blasting it out( endo flush) with ofn ,
the pump is still in the workshop to this day , our boffin will look at it one day.
i just use what i am given , till someone tells me a betterway.
which i will probably find a better way on this site .

r.bartlett
20-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Nettogaz Greenclean

http://www.idsrefrigeration.co.uk/cleaning.php

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?2464-cleaning-old-pipework&

we use a similar product now from FSW

Tayters
20-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Used Endoflush a few times. Found it sits in the saggy pipework and blowing OFN through just skims over the top of it and doesn't get it all out.
NRS sell 'AK Flush'. This seems to evaporate in the open so I'd imagine of some of it was sitting in the pipework, enough OFN and vaccing would remove it.

Cheers,
Andy.

still learning
21-02-2012, 10:03 PM
wow nettogaz looks good.
we also had something called "genosalve" at one time( i may of spelt this wrong ).
i also like the idea of using a oil less reclaim rig as a pump.

Kirky
22-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Update asked powers that be and they instructed me to just swap outdoor pressure test evacuate and open valves. Probably should of got it in writing. So started job today took old unit out and stop. The new unit sent was wrong one. Try again in a week or so and I'm just gonna do as I'm told.

still learning
22-02-2012, 04:47 PM
hope they get you back when it fails again sometime in the future .