PDA

View Full Version : Question Concerning Rheem Heat Pump Outside fan

karao2009
13-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Dear All,

I am not sure whether this is the right forum for this question, but will appreciate any help you can provide.

First the facts: I had a 5 Ton Rheem heat pump installed in our home to replace an 18-year old Lennox heat pump (Model HP22-461-2P) of about 3 or 3.5 Ton capacity which ran its course of life. The Air Handler is installed in the Attic and the external unit is outside. I bought the unit brand new and had it installed by a licensed HVAC contractor. The model of Rheem Air Handler Installed inside the Attic is RHPL-HM6024JC. The model of Rheem Heat Pump (External unit) is RPRL-060JEC. They are purchased as a packaged unit from a Rheem wholesaler through the web and I confirmed through Rheem officials that the units are compatible with each other and the seller is licensed to sell them. These are installed by a local contractor with a Honeywell FocusPRO TH6000 series thermostat which he, the contractor supplied on his own as per the agreement we signed.. The heat pump is advertised as 2-stage.

Now, the problem: From the time it is installed on January 26, 2012, the outside fan is not blowing. I asked the contractor about it, and he seemed not sure, but told me not to worry about it and that it will come on when necessary. Then I read a little bit about heat pumps and also recalled that in the case of the earlier heat pump, the outside blower was running much of the time. Toward the end of its life (i.e., just before the installation of the new unit, however, the outside unit had ice formed all over it, and the fan was still struggling to run. A few contractors who came to look at it to give an estimate said that the old unit pretty much ran its life and that it needed to be replaced. One of them said with so much ice outside the heat pump is doing nothing but wasting electricity and disconnected the outside unit from the socket and asked us to put the inside thermostat to emergency heat because that is how we were getting the heat anyhow. This was the condition at the time of the new installation. The new contractor of course, threw out the old outside unit as well as the in-the-attic air handler and and replaced them with the new Rheem units and installed the Honeywell thermostat FocusPRO TH6000.

Since the installation, I kept observing the outside unit and found that it was never running. I contacted the contractor after a couple of days and he said we could test it by turning off the circuit breaker for the outside unit off and wait for 5 minutes and then turn it on to see if it would come. When we did that, the outside unit fan did come on, but within a minute or two after picking up speed, it shut itself off. The home is getting heated, but I am concerned that the unit is running as an electric heater rather than as a heat pump because the outside fan is not running at all. This seems extremely unusual.
I wrote to the supplier and he says the problem is most likely caused by wrong installation or wrong wiring. When I asked the contractor about it, he adamantly maintains that there is Zero Wrong with his wiring, but he does not have an explanation as to why the outside fan is not blowing. I wrote to the supplier again, and he says that in the most unlikely event that something is wrong with any of their components, they will replace them under warranty if I get a written estimate and a confirmation of the problem. My guess is that the contractor made some error in the wiring, perhaps a simple one, but am not sure what it is.

According to the Owner's manual I downloaded, the Rheem heat pump is with serial communicating technology and it consists of Indoor Air handler, Outdoor air conditioning condensing unit/heat pump, and a touchscreen thermostat. The touchscreen thermostat is not supplied along with the heat pump and air handler. I asked the supplier about communicating technology and he responded that they could supply it for about $400 extra. They confirmed that “The heat pump system is definitely equipped with Rheem's Comfort Control System Serial Communicating Technology. Looking at the specs document you can see that the heat pump is equipped with this technology. The air handler you bought RHPLHM6024JC is also Communicating. This system was designed as a matched Communicating system. In order to achieve the benefits of the Communicating system you will need a Rheem 500 series thermostat. The thermostat is not included in in what you purchased. To keep prices low we sell matched split systems and let customers choose their own thermostats.”
I would like to know:
a) How we can diagnose the reasons for the outside fan not running
b) Whether the outside fan is supposed to spin when the unit is on Heat and the temperature is cold outside.
c) How we can fix it to ensure that the unit is functioning as a heat pump
d) Whether it is advisable to consider purchasing the thermostat recommended by Rheem have it installed.

Thank you.

icemanpaj
15-02-2012, 09:58 PM
What's the actual model of the controller? The 6000 series has 3 models
th6110 is 1 stage heat 1 stage cool
th6220 is 2 heat 2 cool
th6320 is 3 heat 2 cool

My opinion from far away is that there is probably just an error in the controller selection from the installer or its just not programmed as 2 heat 1 cool.

Assuming that they have installed the TH6220, hold down the 'Up' button and the 'Fan/Middle' button together till the display changes.
Then the display should show a 1 on the left side of the display and a 5 on the right.
If it shows a 1 on the left and a 0 on the right it hasn't been set up to run properly.
To exit back to the regular display simply press the Left of the 3 bottom buttons.

Setting 1- 5 is 2 heat/1 cool heat pump (with aux. heat)
Setting 1- 0 is default 1 heat/1 cool

I hope that's not too confusing and helps.

Regards

karao2009
21-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry for the delay in response as I was out of town for a couple of days.

I am not sure where and how the settings you have described (Setting 1- 5 is 2 heat/1 cool heat pump (with aux. heat); Setting 1- 0 is default 1 heat/1 cool) can be checked. I am also not sure how to find the exact model number. What I gave you was what is imprinted on the air handler.

In the meantime, here is the update. Since my original post, the installer stopped by yesterday after constant followup and declared that the excess pressure is caused by excess refrigerant and this in turn is causing the error code of high pressure to come on. I do not know whether he simply repeated the advice of the Rheem technician who inspected the unit and gave possible causes (this being one of them) or whether he came to the conclusion independently. Anyhow, he bled off some refrigerant and the outside unit was running. He declared the problem as solved and left. Within a couple of hours,. the outside unit shut itself off and would come on just once or twice in a 8-hour period. Each time it would be on, run for about 20 seconds and then switch itself off. Turning off the circuit breaker and turning it back on produced no results.

The installer is vague and does not seem to know what is going on. His approach seems to be trial and error. He could not even give me a clear answer when I asked him how long the outside unit is supposed to be running (other than saying, "the computer knows what it's doing).

In the meantime, the electric bills are running close to $1000 a month as the unit is running as a coil heater.

I will appreciate any additional comments or insights.

Thank you.

icemanpaj
23-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Unfortunately it sounds like, you need to get an engineer out to check the system over.
The outside fan doesn't run for a set time, it varies depending on the load on the unit. But at the moment you are right in thinking running for 20 seconds then shutting off is abnormal.

Regards