PDA

View Full Version : pressure testing with manifolds with sight glasses

dav3
10-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Does anyone still use manifolds with sight glasses? I use to as it was the way i was taught as an apprentice. Now ive had a lot more experience ive moved away from using ones with sight glasses and only use ones without sight glasses.

Javac have designed a new pressure and vacuum manifold called a PVR has anyone had one or used one im interested but could need some one elses view if they have used one?

martinw58
10-02-2012, 06:56 PM
i use a single manifold without sight glass

monkey spanners
10-02-2012, 07:13 PM
I have a single gauge Refco one for pressure testing, then swap over to my normal manifold for commisioning.

Looks similar to this,

http://elanmax.com/?cat=91

Tayters
10-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I do the same as MS there, an R410A Refco high side single manifold unit. Very handy too that you can connect to both sides of the system (if access ports allow it anyway) with one gauge so no need to worry that the system hasn't equalised.

If truth be told though, still the odd test with my normal gauges.

Cheers,
Andy.

Simeonx1
11-02-2012, 02:39 AM
MS . Wouldnt u pressure test with high side single gauge . as the low side on wouldn't go high enough ? is this just a picture and you couldnt find a red one ?

For 6 years i have used gauges with no sight glass . i bought gauges the other day and they happen to have a sight glass.
What do i do with it other they looking a pretty bubbles ?
I just look at the sight glass of the unit.
DO the manifold ones have much purpose ?

monkey spanners
11-02-2012, 01:06 PM
MS . Wouldnt u pressure test with high side single gauge . as the low side on wouldn't go high enough ? is this just a picture and you couldnt find a red one ?

Yeah thats the only picture i could find, i have one with a high side gauge on it.

Luke.G
11-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Yeah we only pressure test with a single high side gauge, as a few years back one engineer had a incident when a few weeks prior had his sight glass/ seal replaced by a wholesaler and then he was pressure testing a 410a split and the sight glass actually blew and lodged into his hand!...

dav3
11-02-2012, 11:31 PM
I'll have a look at the refco single manifold then guys.
The pvr has a vacuum gauge on the same manifold block with the pressure gauge and set points so I'll have a look in to that too. It's always safety with me so whichever looks safest that's wot I'll go for

Fishin
01-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Do you usually pressure test a R22 system after fixing a leak or do you just vacuum then service? Thanks.

monkey spanners
01-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Do you usually pressure test a R22 system after fixing a leak or do you just vacuum then service? Thanks.

Would depend on where the leak was and what was done to repair it and also the type of system.

Give an example.

Brian_UK
01-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Would normally expect any system that had a leak repaired to have the repair tested.

Fishin
05-03-2012, 03:50 PM
The tee going to the TXV was leaking. Replaced tee by brazing , vacuumed then serviced with R22.

taz24
05-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Where we are the requirement is IF you do a new install or fit a major component,
you are required to prove the strength of the new part / install.

Changing a condenser, compressor, oil seperator or evap could be deemed a major component,
changing a filter core dryer or TEV orrifice maybe not.

You need to ask your self how did you prove the brazed joint was gas tight?
You do not always have to do a strength test but a leak test / gas tightness test
might but considdered the correct thing to do?

You can't use a vac as a pressure test. the pressure is too low and in the wrong
direction.

All the best

taz

Fishin
06-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Got ya. Thanks.

paddyaircon
18-03-2012, 03:26 PM
always nitro up after any repair- why not???????

Murre
18-03-2012, 07:35 PM
I use only Refco, Ite etc. manifold's with sight glass and I dont have any problem's. Pressure testing I use nitrogen gas (N2).

dannyboi88
30-04-2012, 10:04 PM
always nitro up after any repair- why not???????

With you on this one, just puts the mind at ease to know iv done a test on it.

piewie
06-05-2012, 02:57 AM
The tee going to the TXV was leaking. Replaced tee by brazing , vacuumed then serviced with R22.

How far into vacuum did you go? What are the regulations where you are? Where is VA?

paddyaircon
06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
i know guys who just still purge lol - :rolleyes: