PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Terms Explained

Brian_UK
07-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Try this link to ease the pain of equations:-

http://www.stingo.co.uk/images/ybw/eng.htm

US Iceman
08-11-2005, 12:46 AM
If all engineering was like this, we would have more competition in our field.

Nice expose' of the elastic nature of springs.

Unfortunately, spings in contant use will eventually experience some stretching and sagging under gravity.

star882
08-11-2005, 04:17 AM
Unfortunately, spings in contant use will eventually experience some stretching and sagging under gravity.
Actually, gravity in itself is not the problem, it's metal fatigue caused by compression.
As it applies here, that's one reason why old compressors lose efficiency and performance.
Of course, I suppose that it would be possible to use the repulsive forces of magnets to overcome this problem. Other problems still remain, but at least it's one less thing to worry about. And I wonder what will happen once diamond coatings become cheap enough to use in compressors... (I can imagine an engineer buying a new compressor for his wife's birthday!)

BTW, as for the link, it reminded me of watching the Super Bowl on an 800MHz P3 running Linux back in 2004.

botrous
08-11-2005, 11:59 AM
If all engineering was like this, we would have more competition in our field.

Nice expose' of the elastic nature of springs.

I would like my work even more . . . and the students would really want to attend the lab classes

jamcool
08-11-2005, 12:09 PM
hay guys,know this is not the right thread still working out how to write new threads,have a problem does anyone have any papers on Thermoking unit CFII its a container cooler/freezer.
Having a bit of a problem,the unit has sto[ped going down to temp set point 8 degrees f it starts to ice up at about 31 degrees others have gone to unit 1 guy put more gas in it 2nd guy took out gas changed drier and recharge still no good I am on it now have given the evap coil a good cleaning the drain is ok i suspect that the peoblem lies in the defrost there is a manual defrost switch that does not work,on the control broad a the writing have being rubbed out so do not know what sensor is where,need a manual.
sorry for the lenght but any help would do,the unit was working fine up till last week

star882
13-11-2005, 01:45 PM
I just found an interesting guide for semiconductors.
http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm

milo
13-11-2005, 09:04 PM
I just found an interesting guide for semiconductors.
http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm
For some strange reason I cant concentrate on the text:)

Bones
17-11-2005, 07:06 AM
oh, i wish everything could be illistrated "graphically" :D

botrous
17-11-2005, 10:08 PM
man I'm starting to like electronics :) . . . all the courses should be illustrated :)

US Iceman
17-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey botrous,

You are spending too much time on this thread!! :D

Get back to work.:p

US Iceman

botrous
17-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey botrous,

You are spending too much time on this thread!!

Get back to work.

US Iceman

Right man . . . thanks for the advise . . . I'm searching for a model to illustrate the next week courses :) so i better spend more time searching (working) for the model because the courses are kind of difficult and I want that the students have the most advanced teaching methods and materials to help them understand .

US Iceman
18-11-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm searching for a model to illustrate the next week courses

When we speak of models in engineering terms we usually mean the model describes the system and the effects of varying inputs.:cool:

Are you teaching different classes now?:eek:

I look forward to seeing the model for thermodynamics.

Keep up the good work!

botrous
18-11-2005, 04:46 PM
When we speak of models in engineering terms we usually mean the model describes the system and the effects of varying inputs.

Are you teaching different classes now?

I look forward to seeing the model for thermodynamics.

Keep up the good work!

I'm trying to get a model for thermodynamics , when I find one i sure will let you know about it . . . maybe i will find a model about a heat source in the bedroom :)
and then study it's different aspects :) . . . .

Always searching for good models for my students to help them understand (seriously talking) and I always try to give them the best .