PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with heat pump

samohtom
05-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi. I had an 8KW heat pump put in back in mid December. For a while it was sort of working though I never really got all the rooms up to the temperature I'd like them - I'm now wondering if it's ever been working properly. My flat is a 500 square feet ground floor flat (with flats either side and another one above it). Fully double glazed, cavity wall insulation, 50mm slab insulation in the ceilings. We've recently had some very cold weather, and I haven't been able to get the room to temperature. I'm running Dimplex smartrads and a single ordinary oversized rad in the bathroom, so I can use low flow temperature. I contacted the installer saying I couldn't get the rooms to temperature and was told to try running at 45. Now the pump can get the tank to 45 but I don't think it's working correctly. I've swiped the below from another post by desA (thanks that man):-

To calculate the delivery from the heat-pump do a simple test on the water buffer tank:
1. Make sure that water circulates only heat-pump to/from buffer tank;
2. Measure the time taken to heat up the water from start temp to top temp;
3. Calculate the average heating power into the water as follows:
Q = 1000*(Volume [m3])*(4186.8)*(T,end - T,start)/(time taken in seconds) = heating power in Watts (/1000 => kW)
(temps in 'C, or K)

I did exactly that today. Results as follows:-

starting at 9:23 am tank was at 33 and it was -1 outside. Finished getting to 45 at 11:21 am, now read 6 degrees outside. It's a 150L tank, plugging in the numbers I make it 1064W delivered over just under 2 hours. Now is it me or is that much lower than you'd expect for an 8KW pump? I could probably do better with an immersion! I should be oversized if anything (the company deliberately oversizes and provides a buffer tank so the pump doesn't multicycle - and it certainly doesn't do that as the pump's on all the time at the moment!). Back when they were installing it they did have an issue and had to call an engineer out at the time, something to do with a reversing valve I think? Would that explain anything perhaps?

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who understands this stuff more than me - I know heat pump capacity drops in cold weather but surely not that much? The quoted figures for the pump are COP 4.27W/W (whatever that means?) STC AIR 7 degrees celsius, water 35 deg Celsius.*

Thanks*

Tom

a/c.nick
06-02-2012, 04:23 AM
what brand is the unit? is it defrosting more than once an hour? do you run the unit 24hr a day?

samohtom
06-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi. It's a Husky PWR 8, google Huskyheatpumps will find it. I don't know about the defrosts...however it's an 8KW pump with a 150 litre buffer tank so shouldn't need to stop heating the flat when it's defrosting. I run it using the programmable thermostat (so target of 15 when I'm out at work or overnight, however it may not need to heat to get to this temperature all the time as the flat is not bad insulation wise). It's running most of the time normally, at the moment though I've switched it off till they tell me what to try next! Can't believe I've spent nearly £8K on it and it just runs up a big bill/doesn't heat my flat*:(

mad fridgie
06-02-2012, 11:46 PM
This may sound silly, but not meant to. The unit is simply broken. You need to call an engineer. It is hard to sort out without have some level of tech data.

samohtom
07-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Problem solved (by me!). It's an unbelievably stupid thing. Basically there are a whole load of parameters you can set. One of these is a simple on/off switching parameter for the 3kw auxilliary heater. Put simply, the manual lists it the wrong way round, the manufacturer didn't realise so installer didn't realise. I was told to disable the auxilliary change this parameter to one value when in fact doing so turned it on. All the friggin' time, for the past 6 or 7 weeks. Hence me using 954KW electric in a 1 bedroom flat in this time. I only realised once I'd done tank heat up tests with this parameter set to both possible values and correlated with electricity meter readings, so big thanks to the guy who originally posted that equation on these forums. Am fully expecting the manufacturer at least to eat humble pie over this. It is the first pump of it's type in the UK, but that's no excuse for not knowing your own equipment and having the end user work things out for you! On the plus side COP worked out at 2.9 with a zero ambient approx. Not bad.