PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on how to make my custom refrigerator?

KingNY
04-02-2012, 07:28 PM
I want to build a fridge to house two kegs, one full size and the second keg like a corny type keg which is much narrower. The thing is though that I want to build it under my counter, and have the taps on top of the counter. The only way to do this is lay a fridge on its side and modify the hell out of it or make my own. The counter top is L shaped. A sink is on one leg of the L, and the fridge would be half hidden by the sink cabinet with actual entry area to the fridge being about 24 inches. Total width under the countertop is about 48 inches. I want to basicly take off the compressor and hide it in the corner which is inaccessible anyway and any other parts that I could put there. The actual fridge inside width will be the 24 inches which is viewable from the front and however much I could actually duck into the corner area towards where the compressor will be. So, If I am making sense here, from the left side of the viewable area to the right viewable area is 24 inches, and from the right edge of the viewable area to the corner is 24 inches, part of which will be where the compressor could go. I would like to put steel (or some sort of metal) on the bottom so that heavy full kegs can be slid on them. Otherwise it would be plastic which used to be the side of the fridge. I would also have to make my own door, or modify one so that it is only 24 inches wide and rehinge it so that it opens normally. I have a mig welder for doing any kind of actual reshaping the size of the fridge, and I have a friend who does commercial refrigeration and if I had to cut the copper lines, he could resolder them and refill with the refrigerant. I just need to know what exactly is in the skin and what should be moved, what should be horizontal or vertical as far as lines and the oil, and where the insulation should go. I had in mind the 1 inch thick foam stuff from Lowes'. If necessary, I could actually build my own box to size, from wood or metal, use the 1 inch insulation, or 2 inches or whatever, make a box inside of that box and just add all the guts. What do you think?

cadwaladr
05-02-2012, 02:08 PM
are these kegs pressurised?

KingNY
06-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Going to use CO2 with sanke type taps which only use up a couple inches of height.

Magoo
07-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Rather than house kegs in chilled enclosure, which takes up space. Use a water bath chiller that the beer lines run through before the serving taps. The kegs sit under the bar the water chill tank same. All the bars here use them. The size of water bath depends on how many beers you want to run through it. Plus the temp of bath as well. effectively you chill beer on demand and don't have to wait for enclosure to chill kegs and waste beer because it is warm to serve and wastage.