PDA

View Full Version : Pack vs condensing unis

al
02-02-2012, 09:28 PM
I have a customer (well more than one, but i hate to brag), he has numerous condensing units running dairy walls and prepacks etc.

Had a chat with him re cutting electricity bills, suggested a pack with EEV's, other than anecdotal does anyone have figures re consumption for a pack vs units?

i'll be trying the wholesalers but any info will be welcomed, even if he's better staying as is.

Al

monkey spanners
02-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Don't know about pack verses units, but might be worth adding heat recovery to a pack for hot water if they use a lot in the shop.

al
02-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Good idea MS.

al

install monkey
02-02-2012, 09:59 PM
problem with packs is if it fails u lose the lot,where as individual condensing units on different phases gives u a safety margin- and more fan motor /compressor changes

al
02-02-2012, 10:01 PM
But also with a pack i have another compressor, these condensing units are r22 and near to end of life, but all boils down to cost and pay back (if any).

al

padraic
02-02-2012, 10:04 PM
big savings with the right pack and right condenser set up... floating condenser control and as monkey spanners said get some heat recovery for hot water...
with the proper cabinet control you could have night set back etc etc..
the list is endless you could have 2 or 3 standard compressors and 1 off loading or inverter compressor to meet varying loads..
the copeland network units are like a pack and you can pipe a few together and have master and slave units we have alot of the and no problem and very easy to install

al
02-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks Padraic

Twas the digital scrolls i was leaning, as i say very cost dependent!!

al

padraic
02-02-2012, 10:19 PM
would worry about cabinet being on r22 we have retrofitted old stores and no problem fitting akv valves or standar 404a valves.. them digital copeland packs have fan speed control as standard..

mad fridgie
02-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I would not choose EEV for this application, Load is relatively constant
Night Blinds
Look at ECM motors for cabinets
Heat recovery, "My Boost unit is perfect for this" Unfortunately not released yet in Europe.

install monkey
02-02-2012, 10:43 PM
surely if u shipped him one out from nz just peel the manufacturing info off it,and pocket the money and class it as field testing

I would not choose EEV for this application, Load is relatively constant
Night Blinds
Look at ECM motors for cabinets
Heat recovery, "My Boost unit is perfect for this" Unfortunately not released yet in Europe.

al
02-02-2012, 11:57 PM
I'm up for being a guinea pig MF!!

al

mad fridgie
03-02-2012, 08:06 AM
There is one just across the Irish Sea (UK made), waiting to be installed.
One of the stumbling blocks, is that the savings seem to good to be true. (Many engineers have studied the theory and agree, but it still many are cautious and rightly so, until seen with their own eyes.)
If I said I could save 150% of the energy of heating the water produced would you believe me!
So if heating water was 100Kwhrs, I save 150Kwhrs of energy (Heating water to 65C) In NZ I heat water to 85C, so savings are reduced slightly down to 95% in my application.
I have about 30 running in NZ, very slow to get the technology accepted.
If you tell me the SST and SCT, total normal running compressor displacement (for example you may have a 8 comp rack but on average only 5 run, so 5*displacement), run hours. I can tell you what the saving will be and how much hot water we produce.) And I am conservative with predictions

al
03-02-2012, 09:33 AM
MF

i'll have to get sizing done etc first, but thank you!!

al

chemi-cool
03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Al, with MF idea, you can offer them free heating for the shop using the hot water.

al
03-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks Chemi, need them to look at total energy including gas, could be a clincher!

al