PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to XP and Broardband

Latte
05-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys,

BT have finally got aroung to upgrading the phone systems in the village where i live and i can now get broadband. I am seriously considering going on it as i's only about £1 more a month, but i am also thinking about updating my windows system.
I am currently running ME:eek: now to upgrade to XP is it as easy as installing the CD and let it do its stuff or is it advisable to take the box into PC world and let them do it.

Regards

Fatboy

eggs
05-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Yes it is as easy as popping a cd in, but as Marc says, you a proberbly due an upgraded system now anyway.
cheers

eggs

WebRam
05-11-2005, 06:11 PM
you would be far better getting a bespoke system built for XP

chillin out
05-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Might be better getting a new comp, but it is cheaper to download win xp from the net and install it yourself.

(get broadband before downloading as it takes long enough without the slowness of dialup)

Chillin:) :)

ecclesk
14-11-2005, 10:40 PM
I would definatley consider doing something as windows ME was the worst operating system microsoft ever released!

If you have the money i would say you should be looking at upgrading your system, but if not there's no reason why you cant run XP on your system providing your PC isnt too old.

I have seen somewhere recently genuine XP home upgrade pack for £60 or £70, i think i might have been at dabs.com or somewhere similar.

you shouldn't have any probs upgrading your system to XP so long as you have 256mb of ram minimum, the only thing is you may have to upgrade some drivers for some components eg graphics card & any PCI devices, but thats no problem.

A while back a had an old 350mhz Pentuim 2 system with 128 mb of ram running XP with no probs just had to adjust some of the display settings to free up some resouces, although XP looks nice nice it uses more resources to do so, you can switch these off to make an older/slower machine run more smoothly.

Robearbam
23-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Xp is a wonderful OS however, going broadband please make sure you use a hardware firewall and also a software firewall such as zonealarm (zonelabs.com)or whatever. Broadband opens you up to so much crap it's very hard to deal with. I use adaware (Lavasoft.com) and also spybot S&D (safernetworking.org). Also SP2 is a must for XP.....not long....SP3 will be released. A lot of holes will be patched by these upgrades, make sure you get them. The junk will render your machine useless if your not careful. Also along with a good virus program (Free-AV.com) these programs should be ran at least once a month. Happy Camping.

clownblade
23-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Xp is a wonderful OS however, going broadband please make sure you use a hardware firewall and also a software firewall such as zonealarm (zonelabs.com)or whatever. Broadband opens you up to so much crap it's very hard to deal with. I use adaware (Lavasoft.com) and also spybot S&D (safernetworking.org). Also SP2 is a must for XP.....not long....SP3 will be released. A lot of holes will be patched by these upgrades, make sure you get them. The junk will render your machine useless if your not careful. Also along with a good virus program (Free-AV.com) these programs should be ran at least once a month. Happy Camping.

Jesus..... How paranoid is that? adaware is good and a virus scanner as well but broadband use does not instantly render a pc u/s.

as for xp upgrade its about £75 from pc world. ms xp upgrade will write itself over 98/2000/me. then just download win updates. no idea on your system spec but the min specs will be on the box (or just ask). the other way would be microdirect o.e.m. xp copy £30 from memory with a new build but you can get round that just purchase a £10 power supply.

Robearbam
23-11-2005, 07:07 PM
I apologize for my paranoia but, I get at least one machine every two weeks or so that is infected with either spyware, trojans or worms that thrash the volume useless. In some cases the volume has to be replaced. I just ask everyone to protect themselves to the max....pretend your with a woman you never met or know nothing about...

chillin out
23-11-2005, 08:17 PM
as for xp upgrade its about £75 from pc world. ms xp upgrade will write itself over 98/2000/me.
As far as I knew XP will not overwrite any program.
It will just be set to become the main operating system by default.

as for xp upgrade its about £75 from pc world.
Why buy when you can download it for free?

I agree a good firewall is a must, but don`t rely on one of the free ones, there is a good reason why you have to pay for the others.

Run virus checkers as least once a week.

clownblade
23-11-2005, 09:46 PM

Why buy when you can download it for free?

I agree a good firewall is a must, but don`t rely on one of the free ones, there is a good reason why you have to pay for the others.

Run virus checkers as least once a week.

Just where exactly can you download a fully licensed copy of xp?

chillin out
23-11-2005, 10:10 PM
You need to look for it. I got XP pro natural loaded with lots of software last month, but links dont last forever so I can`t give you the url.

frank
23-11-2005, 10:20 PM

I also know but if I told you I would have to SHOOT you after :)

clownblade
23-11-2005, 10:27 PM
ERM.. the trick is in the question. you cant download a licensed copy of xp. you can however download a blinky copy but if you have the knowledge to do so then you should by rights also have the money to buy one. windows is about the only piece of software not worth ripping. but there are plenty of cracks for other expensive and useful progs out there. to even suggest i know not where to look is as far as im concerned, ludicrous.

frank
23-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Your answer suggests that I am telling a lie? in so much as you consider it impossible to download a fully licensed copy of XP

clownblade
23-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Your answer suggests that I am telling a lie? in so much as you consider it impossible to download a fully licensed copy of XP

yes it does. well done.

clownblade
24-11-2005, 12:16 AM

Sorry mate missed that one. XP UPGRADE. this will autorun like any cd rom on 98/2000/me and "upgrade" the copy of windows to xp. visit pc world and search for xp upgrade.

chillin out
24-11-2005, 07:35 PM
ERM.. the trick is in the question. you cant download a licensed copy of xp. you can however download a blinky copy
What the hells a 'blinky copy'?

windows is about the only piece of software not worth ripping.
So you like windows? , Do you use outlook and internet explorer?
2 of the $hitist programs out there. As for the operating system, well many people spend hours trying to delete stupid files and programs microsoft infect your computer with.

Microsoft write a program then spend the next year writing fixes for it.

shark26
19-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Jesus..... How paranoid is that? adaware is good and a virus scanner as well but broadband use does not instantly render a pc u/s.

as for xp upgrade its about £75 from pc world. ms xp upgrade will write itself over 98/2000/me. then just download win updates. no idea on your system spec but the min specs will be on the box (or just ask). the other way would be microdirect o.e.m. xp copy £30 from memory with a new build but you can get round that just purchase a £10 power supply.

Dont beleive this
:(

My computer needed a complete re-install after 1 hr of getting broadband (1 Meg). I re-installed. put zone alarm and avg on and no probs since (now on 10 Meg connection)

walden
19-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Take the plunge! This is my first week on XP. I upgraded from '98! You can buy desktop PCs for so little money now, you might as well buy new and have an LCD monitor too! The old PC? If you can't find anyone who wants it, I believe that PC World will take them and send them out to African schools where they are screaming out for PCs for thier schools.

Robearbam
19-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Dont beleive this
:(

My computer needed a complete re-install after 1 hr of getting broadband (1 Meg). I re-installed. put zone alarm and avg on and no probs since (now on 10 Meg connection)

Absolutely! Some trojans sneak in just before an upgrade takes place on your virus software. I highly recommend a software firewall such as zonealarm. (zonelabs.com) they have a lite version, free. Spyware, advertisements are the latest threat...never never click on an email link your not familiar with. Copy and paste the link into your browser.

Gwyn
19-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Avg seems to have stopped atleast three trojans since christmas..... not bad for FREE! [auto updating etc.]