PDA

View Full Version : Megger Ohm meter

Kirky
31-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi all just been pricing up some meggers ohm meters and they are expensive. Somebody at work has told me that they use a analogue ohm meter he used for his car battery. Is that a cheaper alternative or is he pulling my leg. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced megger and where I can buy it from.

Cheers

The Viking
31-01-2012, 10:52 PM
First of all it depends on what you are going to use it for.

If it is for checking insulation in cables then you really do need a spiking Mega Ohm meeter, often referred to as Meggers, these are the expensive ones that has the potential to fry PCBs if not used with due care and attention (also quite funny to spike apprentices with!)

However, some of the modern multimeeters are capable of measuring Mega Ohm but without giving the spike and these are generally good enough to tell if a compressor is down to earth or not. These starts at about £100.

I have been using an RS697-3746 for some years now and I have as yet not found a compressor that have passed the test with that one but my Megger failed or vice versa.

The beauty of that one is that it does everything I need to in order to not having to carry any other meters in my general tool bag clamp/volt/ohm/Mohm/thermometer all in one. And I no longer think I would notice if the "proper" individual meeters I carry in the van would go walkabout...

:cool:

monkey spanners
31-01-2012, 11:06 PM
SRW do a cheap mega that has 250,500 and 1000v ranges for £109.50 plus vat.

Or you could spend three or four times that much, just depends on what you work on and what the environment is like.

install monkey
31-01-2012, 11:11 PM
monkey spanners- what pat tester do you recommend-and dont say ur right wellie! haha

SRW do a cheap mega that has 250,500 and 1000v ranges for £109.50 plus vat.

Or you could spend three or four times that much, just depends on what you work on and what the environment is like.

monkey spanners
31-01-2012, 11:22 PM
monkey spanners- what pat tester do you recommend-and dont say ur right wellie! haha

Just get some of those stickers from the sparky shop and scrible on them.

Tayters
31-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Somebody at work has told me that they use a analogue ohm meter he used for his car battery...

Sounds like a leg pull to me. Major stumbling block being the 12V exhibited by the battery.

Used a bog standard RS Components one in my old firm. Seemed alright. Even measured voltage so I could use in the car.

Cheers,
Andy.

Magoo
01-02-2012, 03:16 AM
I use an Avo electronic, up to 1000 volt output. depending on accuracy you require. a multimeter is a waste of time on large motors